About This Career
Administrative Assistants perform a variety of administrative duties in support of an organization and its managerial professionals. These duties may include maintaining file systems, coordinating schedules, preparing correspondence and presentations, handling confidential information, arranging conference calls, and preparing agendas and meeting minutes. Administrative Assistants interact with many others from different departments across an organization, as well as with clients, suppliers, executives and the public. Computers and office equipment such as photocopiers, scanners and fax machines are their primary tools. Administrative Assistants often use accounting software, desktop and graphic software, database and enterprise management software.
Employment: This occupation is found in onshore environments and is employed in the exploration and production, oil sands, oil and gas services, and pipeline sectors of the oil and gas industry.
Education: Administrative Assistants require a high school diploma and a 1- to 2-year college diploma or specialized administrative certificate. Several years of experience is typically required.
Example titles: Secretary, Technical Secretary, Executive Assistant and Office Administrative Assistant.
- Administrative Assistant
- Executive Assistant
Mild Physical Activity
Some Overtime Required
- Truck transportation
- Non-residential and residential building construction
- Warehousing and storage
- Rail transportation
- Public administration, including regulatory
- Forestry and logging
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Primary metal manufacturing
- Chemical manufacturing
- Petroleum and coal product manufacturing
- Paper manufacturing
- Wood product manufacturing
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
- Utilities, including renewable energy
- Mining and quarrying
Business and Operations Support
Exploration and production
Oil and gas services
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- Specific health and safety certifications will be determined by job requirements.
- Strong computer literacy including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint