About This Career
Chemical Technicians and Technologists help design operations, implement process controls and address equipment corrosion concerns. They also research new products and technologies, as well as environmental and reclamation techniques that help to keep the oil and gas industry on the leading edge.
The typical roles in this occupation include:
- Process Control Technicians contribute to the design, implementation and improvement of systems required to control temperature, pressure and flow of oil and gas during processing.
- Corrosion Specialists contribute to the design, implementation and improvement of cathodic protection programs. They investigate corrosion failures and recommend improvements.
- Laboratory Technicians and Quality Control Technologists conduct chemical analyses on air, water, soil and oil. They ensure quality control on chemical products used by the industry.
- Chemical Specialists research new and improved products and technologies for oil and gas recovery, surface separation and production or environmental management.
Education: For Chemical Technicians, a one- or two-year post-secondary diploma in chemistry, biochemistry, science or environmental engineering technology is typically required. For Chemical Technologists, a two- or three-year post-secondary diploma in chemistry, biochemistry, science or environmental engineering technology (or a related discipline) is typically required.
Employment: This occupation is found in both onshore and offshore environments and is typically employed in the oil sands, exploration and production (E&P), oil and gas services, and pipeline sectors of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Process Control Technician, Operations Process Specialist, Corrosion Specialist, Laboratory Technician, Quality Control Technologist, Chemical Specialist, Laboratory Analyst, Research Technical Assistant, Technical Sales Representative, Cathodic Protection Technician
- There are no recent job postings
Mild Physical Activity
Long Periods of Standing
Some Overtime Required
Technicians and Technologists
Oil and gas services
Exploration and production
- Post-secondary diploma