About This Career
Drafting Technologists prepare engineering designs and drawings in multidisciplinary engineering teams or in support of engineers, architects or industrial designers. This expertise addresses operational, conceptual, design and construction drawing needs, and includes the management of drawings and drawing control across areas of the organization.
Education: A post-secondary diploma in engineering design and drafting technology is typically required. Programs related to AutoCAD operation, engineering design and drafting or GIS and CADD integration are preferred.
Employment: This occupation is found in onshore environments and is typically employed in the exploration and production, oil sands, and oil and gas services sectors of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Computer-Assisted Design (CAD) and Drafting Technologist, Design and Drafting Technologist, Engineering Design and Drafting Technologist, Mechanical Draftsperson, Computer Aided Design (CAD) Operator, CAD Specialist, Document Controller, Piping Designer, Civil Engineering Technologist, Process Designer/Technologist
- Drafting technologists may, with experience, advance to supervisory and management positions or go on to establish their own design and drafting companies.
- Examples of progressive or lateral occupations within the Oil and Gas industry:
- Designer, Senior Designer, Senior Design Team Lead
- Civil Design, Construction Management and Project Management
As Canada prepares for the launch of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) sector, this occupation will play a key role in:
- Off-site fabrication
- LNG export facility construction
- LNG export facility operations
- Natural gas pipeline construction
When the LNG industry takes off, you can be a part of the action!
Mild Physical Activity
Long Periods of Standing
Some Overtime Required
- Transportation equipment manufacturing
- Machinery manufacturing
- Specialty trades contractors
- Truck transportation
- Construction of buildings (non-residential and residential)
- Warehousing and storage
- Rail transportation
- Public administration, including regulatory
- Forestry and logging
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Primary metal manufacturing
- Chemical manufacturing
- Petroleum and coal product manufacturing
- Paper manufacturing
- Wood product manufacturing
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
- Utilities, including renewable energy
- Mining and quarrying
- Drafting Technologists have highly transferable skills, including to:
Technicians and Technologists
Exploration and production
Oil and gas services
- Post-secondary diploma
- Trade certification for draftspersons is available.
- Certification in engineering design and drafting technology or in a related field through provincial associations of engineering/applied science technologists may be required by employers.
- Specific health and safety certifications will be determined by job requirements.
- A period of supervised work, usually two years, is required before certification.