About This Career
Oil and Gas Transportation Operators transport equipment, liquid and gas products and other supplies that are used in the exploration, development and production of oil and gas.
Oil and Gas Transportation Operators include drivers of special purpose trucks and shunters that move trailers to and from loading docks within trucking yards or lots. In addition to transport trucks, Oil and Gas Transportation Operators operate specialized truck equipment designed for the oil and gas industry. The typical roles in this occupation include:
- Bed Truck Operators operate trucks designed with a flat deck, winch and pulleys that move rig buildings, derricks, matting and other oilfield equipment. They operate crawler-tractors equipped with large front blades to move obstacles and back rippers to tear up terrain. They also clear and level dirt, sand, rock and gravel on construction and mining sites.
- Bulk Haul Truck Operators operate trucks with a vessel or tank used to transport liquid, natural gas products, dry bulk commodities (e.g., cement) and other supplies.
- Multi-wheel Truck Operators operate multi-wheel trucks consisting of a truck and trailer that are used primarily for over-weight loads or loads requiring permits.
- Winch Tractor Operators operate winch tractors, heavy-duty trucks outfitted with a winch. Winches are used to load and unload rig loads onto trailers without the use of cranes. They are also used to transport loads requiring permits.
Education: A high school diploma (or equivalent) is typically required.
Employment: This occupation is found in onshore environments and is typically employed in the oil and gas services sector of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Rigger, Truck Driver, Bed Truck Operator, Bulk Haul Truck Operator, Multi-wheel Truck Operator, Winch Tractor Operator, Trucking Supervisor
Oil and gas services
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- A Class 3 licence is required to drive straight-body trucks
- A Class 1 licence is required to drive long-combination vehicles
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical assessment and drug test