About This Career
Slickline Operators raise and lower downhole tools (e.g. bailers, pulling tools, stems and running tools) with a wire cable which is used to test and maintain oil and gas wells. They retrieve and/or install valves, plugs and pressure regulators. They lower and raise downhole tools and plugs to proper depth and direct the fishing tools used to retrieve broken or lost wire or equipment.
This occupation is divided into several levels from Assistant Operator to Level 3 Operator. Each level involves more responsibility and more complex tasks. Level 1 activities involve all the basic operations such as raising and lowering tools, maintaining the rig and assisting with the planning and implementation of the job. Level 2 and 3 have an added supervisory element. Further skill, Level 3 is involved in other types of activities such as perforating.
Education: There are no specific educational requirements, however, training courses are available and it is possible to apply for apprenticeship training in some jurisdictions.
Employment: This occupation is found in both onshore and offshore environments and is typically employed in the oil and gas services sector of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Field Operator, Fisherman, Pulling Unit Operator
- The following are examples of progressive or lateral career paths associated with this occupation:
- Slickline Operator
- Slickline Level 1,2 and 3
- Wireline Operator
- Other Completions roles such as Fracking, Nitrogen, Coil Tubing
Mild Physical Activity
Long Periods of Standing
Working from Heights
Some Overtime Required
- Truck transportation
- Non-residential and residential building construction
- Warehousing and storage
- Rail transportation
- Forestry and logging
- Mining and quarrying
Oil and gas services
- Grade 10
- The following are examples of health and safety courses that may be required with this occupation:
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Fall protection
- H2S Alive
- Confined space entry
- Traffic control
- Aerial lift training
- Respirator fit testing
- Traffic control