About This Career
Carpenters are needed in the oil and gas industry for just about everything structural: constructing and erecting facilities and plants and assisting ongoing and turnaround maintenance activities by building construction supports such as scaffolds or braces.
Carpenters build, shape and cut materials to specified measurements, assemble and fasten components, or install windows, frames and flooring. They can choose to specialize as well. For example, cribbing and framing appeals to those who can handle the heavy lifting associated with oil and gas and other industrial construction.
Education: A high school diploma (or equivalent) is typically required.
Employment: This occupation is found in onshore environments and is typically employed in the oil and gas services sector of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Carpenter Apprentice, Assembler, Construction Carpenter, Carpenter Foreman, Concrete Carpenter, Journeyman/woman Carpenter
- Supervisory positions
As Canada prepares for the launch of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) sector, this occupation will play a key role in:
- Off-site fabrication
- LNG export facility construction and operations
- Natural gas pipeline construction
- Turnaround maintenance
When the LNG industry takes off, you can be a part of the action!
Working from Heights
Some Overtime Required
Careers also exist in the following industries:
- Construction of buildings (residential and non-residential)
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
- Mining and quarrying
- Paper manufacturing
Oil and gas services
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- Completion of a three- to five-year apprenticeship program is required to become a certified tradesperson. Another route to apprenticeship training is a pre-apprenticeship foundation program.
- The Red Seal endorsement is the interprovincial standard of excellence, and is available to tradespersons upon successful completion of the Red Seal examination.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS)
- Pipeline Construction Safety Training (PCST)
- H2S Alive
- Confined space entry
- Fall protection