About This Career
Downhole Tool Specialists are responsible for ensuring that the necessary tools for use in oil or gas activity are included in the bottom hole assembly (BHA), equipment at the end of a drill string on a drilling rig. The types of tools selected are based on the oil and gas reservoir formation. They are used during well drilling, evaluation, intervention, completion and production. Once the tools are in position, Downhole Tool Specialists operate and monitor the tool to ensure the work is successfully completed.
Once the BHA is withdrawn from the wellbore, Downhole Tool Specialists perform maintenance and/or repairs on the tools to ready them for future use.
Education: A post-secondary diploma in a mechanical, electrical, electronics, instrumentation, petroleum engineering technology or related discipline is typically required. A post-secondary degree in an applied science discipline, such as engineering, mathematics and geology, is also an option.
Employment: This occupation is found in both onshore and offshore environments and is typically employed in the oil and gas services sector of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: n/a
- Logging While Drilling Operator
- Measurement While Drilling Operator
- Here are the two most recent postings:
Derrick worker - oil and gas drilling
Posted on Sep 13 2017
By Global well servicing ltd.Drayton valley Dependant upon experience
Labourer, oil field
Posted on Sep 01 2017
By Shuttle valve servicing ltd.Grande prairie Dependant upon experience
Long Periods of Standing
- Mining and quarrying
- Utilities, including renewable energy
Oil and gas services
- Post-secondary diploma
- Accreditation and professional membership through a recognized organization such as the Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta (ASET) or the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) is preferred by most oil and gas service companies.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- H2S Alive
- Oilfield Driver Awareness
- Class 3 or 5 driver’s licence (or equivalent) appropriate to the vehicle being driven and a clean driving record
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical assessment and drug test