About This Career
Human Resources (HR) Advisors assist and advise employers with employee compensation, organizational development, change management, performance management, employee/leadership development, employee relations and possibly recruitment in smaller organizations. They evaluate, develop, and implement human resources programs and procedures to address issues such as organizational effectiveness.
HR Advisors work with employees and potential candidates to negotiate employment terms and agreements, as well as undertake job evaluations. A key part of the role is to ensure that the company is complying with employment law and managing their employees appropriately. They utilize standard office equipment and software applications, as well as specialized human resources management applications. Depending on the employer, some travel to sites may be required.
Education: A post-secondary diploma or degree in human resources management or a related field is typically required.
Employment: This occupation is found in onshore environments and is typically employed in the exploration and production (E&P), oil sands, oil and gas services, and pipeline sectors of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Corporate Recruiter, Recruitment Specialist, Employment Coordinator, Employment Representative, Employment Specialist, Human Resources Coordinator, Human Resources Generalist, Human Resources Specialist, Personnel Coordinator, Recruiter, Technical Recruiter
- Examples of progressive or lateral occupations within the Oil and Gas industry:
- HR Advisor to HR Generalist to HR Specialist
- HR Advisor to HR Specialist (e.g. Benefits, Compensation or Relocation) to HR Manager
- Some HR Specialist Roles to Communications/Community Relations
- There are no recent job postings
As Canada prepares for the launch of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) sector, this occupation will play a key role in:
- Off-site fabrication
- LNG export facility construction
- LNG export facility operations
- Natural gas pipeline construction
When the LNG industry takes off, you can be a part of the action!
Some Overtime Required
- Administrative and support services
- Credit intermediation and related activities
- Educational Services
- Federal government and public administration
- Forestry and logging
- Insurance carriers and related activities
- Local and municipal public administration
- Management of companies and enterprises
- Petroleum and coal product manufacturing
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Provincial and territorial public administration
- Securities, commodity contracts, and other financial investment, financial, and related activities
Business and Operations Support
Oil and gas services
Exploration and production
- Post-secondary diploma
- Some employers may require human resources professionals to hold a Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) designation.