About This Career
Machinists set up, operate, fabricate, modify and repair a variety of machine tools to produce precision parts and instruments. They may also fabricate and modify parts to make or repair machine tools or maintain industrial machines. They interact with engineering, supervisory or manufacturing personnel to exchange technical information. Machinists use tools such as boring machines, radial drills, calipers, lathes etc. They also use applications such as computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) software, machinist analytical or scientific software, and industrial control software.
Education: A high school diploma (or equivalent) is typically required, along with a four-year apprenticeship program or several years of experience working in the trade along with some industry approved college courses.
Employment: This occupation is found in onshore and offshore environments and is typically employed in the exploration and production (E&P), oil sands, oil and gas services and pipelines sectors of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Gear Machinist, Journeyman Machinist, Machine Operator, Machine Repair Person, Maintenance Machinist, Maintenance Specialist, Production Machinist, Set-Up Machinist, Tool Room Machinist, Machining Inspector
- Fitter, Boiler Maker, Millwright
- Machinist to Millwright to Supervisor to Quality Control Inspection
- Some examples of progressive or lateral career paths associated with this occupation:
As Canada prepares for the launch of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) sector, this occupation will play a key role in:
- Offsite fabrication
- LNG facility operations
- LNG facility construction
- Natural gas pipeline construction
When the LNG industry takes off, you can be a part of the action!
Mild Physical Activity
Long Periods of Standing
Working from Heights
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
- Machinery manufacturing
- Mining and quarrying
- Petroleum and coal product manufacturing
- Primary metal manufacturing
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Rail transportation
- Transportation equipment manufacturing
- Truck Transportation
- Utilities including renewables
- Wood product manufacturing
Oil and gas services
Exploration and production
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)