About This Career
Mechanical Technicians are responsible for the inspection, maintenance, troubleshooting, repair and overhaul of mechanical systems used in the oil and gas industry, such as downhole tools, pumps, generators, motors and turbines. They may also be involved in the design and development of machines, machine components and tools.
Mechanical Technicians have a thorough knowledge of mechanical systems and are able to quickly troubleshoot problems.
Education: A high school diploma is typically required, although some employers prefer completion of a one- or two-year college program in mechanical engineering technology or a trade such as machinist or millwright. Specific training is usually provided on-the-job.
Employment: This occupation is found in both onshore and offshore environments and is typically employed in the oil and gas services sectors of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Mechanical Engineering Technician, Design Technician, Pipeline Technician, Field Service Technician, Downhole Tools Technician, Maintenance Technician, Tool Technician
- Maintenance Coordinator
- Rotating Equipment Technician
- Static Equipment Technician
- Vibration Specialist
- Here are the two most recent postings:
Technician, mechanical engineering
Posted on Apr 20 2018
By hx industrial controlSaskatoon Dependant upon experience
Specialist, hvac (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) systems
Posted on Apr 18 2018
By traditional air systems inc.Etobicoke Dependant upon experience
Careers also exist in the following industries:
- Chemical manufacturing
- Forestry and logging
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
- Mining and quarrying
- Paper manufacturing
- Petroleum and coal product manufacturing
- Primary metal manufacturing
- Rail transportation
- Utilities, including renewable energy
- Water transportation
- Wood product manufacturing
Technicians and Technologists
Oil and gas services
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- Standard and emergency first aid
- H2S Alive
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Other health and safety training requirements to be determined by specific job requirements.
- Class 5 driver’s licence and a clean driving record