About This Career
Pipeline Transportation Labourers assist skilled tradespersons with the majority of manual labour required for pipeline construction, maintenance and operations. Pipeline Transportation Labourers are members of a crew(s) comprised of tradespersons, operators and labourers. Typical roles include the following:
- Pre-Construction Workers remove obstructions from a pipeline right-of-way. They create a uniform grade so that equipment and trucks can maneuver the right-of-way easily. They also excavate trenches on the right-of-way for pipe placement and help place the pipe end-to-end in preparation for welding.
- Construction Workers assist in bending the pipe to fit with land contours. They help to position and align pipe for welding. They also apply primer, protective coating and final wrapping on the pipe.
- Post-Construction Workers cover the pipeline with topsoil that was previously removed and ensure the right-of-way is returned to its original state.
- Maintenance/Terminal/Station Workers assist in preventive maintenance, repair and upgrading of pipelines, pumping stations and pipeline facilities/oil tank farms.
- Line Walkers patrol the pipeline on foot, horseback or other means to identify any leaks, washouts, breaks in joints or damaged communication infrastructure.
Education: A high school diploma (or equivalent) is preferred, and on-the-job training is typically provided by employers. These are entry-level occupations.
Employment: This occupation is found in onshore environments and is typically employed by companies in the oil and gas sector that specialize in pipeline construction and maintenance, as well as the pipeline sector.
Example titles: Pipeline Transportation Helper, Pre-Construction Helper, Construction Helper, Post-Construction Helper, Pipeliner, Line Walker, Maintenance Worker, Terminal Worker, Station Worker, Survey Helper, Bending Helper, Pipeline Labourer, Mechanic’s Labourer, Painters/Coaters, Sandblasters, Measureman, Nozzleman, Skid Setter, Spacer, Stabber
- Electrician Apprentice
- Millwright Apprentice
- Pipefitter Apprentice
- Welding Apprentice
Some Overtime Required
- Forestry and logging
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
- Mining and quarrying
- Utilities including renewable energy
Exploration and production
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- Pipeline Construction Safety Training (PCST)
- Standard and emergency first aid
- H2S Alive
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG)
- Confined Space Entry
- Ground Disturbance
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS)
- Some occupations will require a valid driver’s licence and a clean driving record
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical assessment and drug test