About This Career
Rig Managers are responsible for every aspect of rig operations including set up, take down and rig moves, as well as managing personnel and the financial, technical and performance aspects of a drilling rig. The Rig Manager is typically the point of contact for the operator and provides input during rig marketing and contracting activities.
Rig Managers are responsible for daily paperwork pertaining to rig production and costs. The Rig Manager also ensures that health and safety guidelines are communicated and followed, and that rig operations comply with environmental and governmental regulations. They interact with all drilling rig personnel in addition to well services providers and management. Members of the drilling crew look to their Rig Manager for leadership, safety training, dispute resolution and support to solve personnel and operational issues.
Education: A high school diploma is required, along with extensive experience working in a rig environment. Additional education, such as college or industry-approved training courses or a post-secondary diploma in petroleum engineering technology may be preferred by some employers.
Employment: This occupation is found in onshore and offshore environments and is typically employed in the oil & gas services sector of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Oil and Gas Well Drilling and Service Rig Manager, Service Rig Manager
- Construction Manager
- Divisional Team Management
- Drilling Manager
- Field Management
- Field Management to Operations Management Divisional Team Management
- Operations Management
- The following are examples of progressive or lateral career paths:
- There are no recent job postings
Mild Physical Activity
Long Periods of Standing
Some Overtime Required
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
- Mining and quarrying
- Non-residential and residential building construction
- Petroleum and coal product manufacturing
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Truck transportation
- Utilities, including renewable energy
Oil and gas services
- Post-secondary diploma