About This Career
Steamfitters, Pipefitters and Sprinkler System Installers assemble, maintain and repair storage vessels, pipes and spools for piping or sprinkler systems. They work with engineers who provide blueprints and welders who weld or solder pieces together.
Steamfitters and Pipefitters build and maintain piping systems used to produce or transport oil and gas. More specifically, they lay out, assemble, fabricate, maintain and repair piping systems carrying water, steam, chemicals or fuel in oil and gas processing plants.
Sprinkler System Installers fabricate, install, test, maintain and repair fire protection sprinkler systems on commercial and industrial sites.
Education: A high school diploma (or equivalent) is typically required.
Employment: This occupation is found in both onshore and offshore environments and is typically employed in the exploration and production (E&P), oil sands, oil and gas services and pipeline sectors of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Steamfitter, Pipefitter, Marine Pipefitter, Journeyman Steamfitter/Pipefitter, Pipefitter Apprentice, Steamfitter Apprentice
- There are no recent job postings
As Canada prepares for the launch of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) sector, this occupation will play a key role in:
- LNG export facility construction
- Natural gas pipeline construction
- Turnaround maintenance
When LNG takes off, you can be a part of the action!
Long Periods of Standing
Working from Heights
Some Overtime Required
- Construction of buildings (non-residential and residential)
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
Oil and gas services
Exploration and production
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- Completion of a four- to five-year apprenticeship program is required to become a certified tradesperson. Another route into apprenticeship training is a pre-apprenticeship foundation program. In some provinces, both of these routes can begin in high school.
- The Red Seal endorsement is the interprovincial standard of excellence, and is available to tradespersons upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS)
- Pipeline Construction Safety Training (PCST)
- H2S Alive
- Confined space entry
- Fall protection
- Standard and emergency first aid