About This Career
Warehouse Technicians are responsible for products within a warehouse environment. Specifically, they receive, store and issue materials, equipment, and other items from the stockroom, warehouse, or storage yards. In the oil and gas industry, Warehouse Technicians may also connect hoses or pipes and operate equipment to load and unload liquid petroleum, chemical or other products into or from tank cars, tank trucks or storage tanks. They keep records and compile stock reports and may process orders from supplier company facilities/plants or external customers.
Warehouse Technicians interact with internal and external clients and warehouse supervisory staff. They use equipment such as forklifts, dollies, hand lifts, cranes, etc. to move materials. They may need experience in Cycle Count Process and inventory/warehouse management processes.
Education: This occupation requires a high school diploma and some employers may require a supply chain management diploma or trades certification.
Employment: The Warehouse Technicians are employed in onshore and offshore environments in exploration and production, oil sands, oil and gas services and pipeline sectors in oil and gas industry.
Example Titles: Distribution and Transport Logistics Technician, Freight Forwarding Technician, Material Handlers, Storage Workers, Receivers, Warehouse Workers, Fork Truck Operator, Railway Car Loader, Supply Control Coordinator, Receiving Supervisor or Stock Clerks.
- Equipment Operator to Supervisor to Consultant
- Trucking to Grocery or Retail Stock to Moving Company
Mild Physical Activity
Long Periods of Standing
- Chemical manufacturing
- Forestry and logging
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
- Mining and quarrying
- Non-residential and residential building construction
- Petroleum and coal product manufacturing
- Primary metal manufacturing
- Rail transportation
- Truck transportation
- Utilities, including renewable energy
- Warehousing and storage
- Wood product manufacturing
Business and Operations Support
Oil and gas services
Exploration and production
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- Experience in a related clerical occupation, or as a warehouse worker, may be required for partspersons.
- Physical strength is required for manual material handlers who work with heavy materials.