About This Career
Wireline Operators raise and lower special downhole instruments and tools into oil and gas wells to collect and process data. In general wireline crews lower, operate or direct the operations of wireline instruments, tools and equipment. These can range from electrical well logging equipment (e-line), to perforating guns which are used to perforate well casing and permit oil and gas to flow into the well, to downhole plugs and fishing tools used to retrieve broken or lost wire or equipment. Wireline Operators also drive wireline trucks to and from drilling sites. Wireline Operators can specialize in cased-hole or open-hole conditions.
Education: A high school diploma (or equivalent) is typically required, along with specialized industry courses and three to six months of experience. Working in an offshore environment may require several more years of experience working in the equivalent onshore environment. Some roles, such as open-hole well logging, may require a post-secondary diploma in electronics or engineering technology.
Employment: This occupation is found in both onshore and offshore environments and is typically employed in exploration and production, oil sands and the oil and gas services sectors of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Wireline Technician, Electric Line Operator, E- logger, Cased-hole Operator, Open-hole Operator
- Fracking Operator
- Heavy Equipment Operator
- Hydro-vac Operator
- The following are examples of progressive or lateral career paths associated with this occupation:
- Truck Driver
Mild Physical Activity
Long Periods of Standing
Working from Heights
Some Overtime Required
- Chemical manufacturing
- Forestry and logging
- Mining and quarrying
- Non-residential and residential building construction
- Petroleum and coal product manufacturing
- Primary metal manufacturing
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Public administration, including regulatory
- Rail transportation
- Truck transportation
- Utilities, including renewable energy
- Warehousing and storage
Oil and gas services
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- An air brake endorsement may be required.