The Petroleum Labour Market Information (PetroLMI) Division of Energy Safety Canada is your source for labour market information and trends in Canada’s energy industry.
The oil and gas industry is undergoing a structural shift due to lower oil and gas prices, which has resulted in a contraction in employment, reduced spending and a focus on productivity. Amid these economic and market changes, the industry is pursuing solutions to address an aging workforce, technological innovation and increasing competition for talent.
PetroLMI’s mandate is to collaborate with industry, government, educators and training agencies to support and advance the development of a sustainable, skilled and productive workforces. PetroLMI specializes in providing oil and gas labour market data and insights, as well as resources for workforce and career planning.
About Careers in Oil + Gas
In response to a need for a credible and comprehensive source of Canadian oil and gas industry career information, the PetroLMI Division of Energy Safety Canada created the Careers in Oil + Gas website. The Careers in Oil + Gas website:
- Provides an overview of the Canadian oil and gas industry
- Shares monthly labour force data
- Describes what it’s like to work in the industry
- Details the many career options available within the industry
- Explores and compares the qualifications, skills, training and aptitudes needed for hundreds of careers in the oil and gas industry
- Forecasts employment needs
- Reports workforce trends
The site launched in November 2007. The development of the site was directed and funded by key stakeholders and is the result of the work and collaboration of eight key partners:
- Canadian Association of Geophysical Contractors (CAGC)
- Canadian Association of Oilwell Drilling Contractors (CAODC)
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP)
- Canadian Energy Pipelines Association (CEPA)
- Energy Safety Canada
- Government of Canada’s Sectoral Initiatives Program
- Petroleum Services Association of Canada (PSAC)
- The Explorers and Producers Association of Canada (EPAC)
Virtual reality field trip brings energy industry to the classroomPosted
A school field trip during a pandemic? No problem! To encourage learning opportunities during COVID-19, PetroLMI developed a virtual reality (VR) fiel...Continue reading