- Exploration and production
- Oil and Gas Services
- Oil sands
- Post-secondary diploma
About This Career
If you see drilling automation, driverless trucks or remote sensors in the oil and gas industry, you can thank an Automated Systems Technician or Technologist. These types of automated technologies are being used increasingly more often in the oil and gas industry to monitor, measure and control oil and gas wells, facilities and pipeline operations.
As the oil and gas industry seeks to increase efficiency, safety and environmental performance, automation is becoming increasingly important to monitor, measure and control oil and gas wells, facilities and pipeline operations.
Automation Systems Technicians and Technologists integrate electrical, mechanical and computer systems to control industrial processes. These systems often include mechanical components, sensors, actuators and control systems, and may also include robots. Automation Systems Technologists work with Automation Engineers and other engineering professionals to plan, install and maintain these automated systems. Technicians in this group provide front-line installation and first-line technical support for these same systems.
Common automation used across the industry includes programmable logic controllers (PLC) which control manufacturing processes, remote terminal units (RTU) which are microprocessor controlled electronic devices, supervisory control and data acquisition systems (SCADA), and distributed control systems (DCS) which are computerized control systems for a process or plant. Automation in drilling, driverless truck autonomous haulage systems (AHS) and remote sensing are becoming increasingly common.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Assisting engineers in the design, configuration, or application of robotic or autonomous systems.
- Designing and installing automated cells or systems.
- Evaluating the efficiency and reliability of robotic systems and reprogramming or calibrating them to achieve maximum efficiency.
- Performing preventive or corrective maintenance on automated systems.
- Keeping abreast of automated systems and robotics developments, including Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning.
- For Automation Systems Technologists, a two- or three-year post-secondary diploma in computer engineering technology, robotics, mechanical engineering technology, electronics engineering technology or an equivalent discipline is typically required. For Automation Systems Technicians, the completion of a college program in computer science, computer programming or network administration is usually required.
- Certification in computer, electrical or mechanical engineering technology or a related field is available through provincial associations of engineering/applied science technologists and technicians and may be required for some positions.
- Certification or training provided by software vendors may be required by some employers.
The following are examples of Health and Safety courses that may be required for this occupation:
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Construction safety training system
- H2S Alive
- Fall protection
Automated Systems Technicians and Technologists are detail-oriented people who are very technically savvy. They have strong computer software and component-based knowledge. They also have strong interpersonal skills and are able to work closely with other automation technologists and engineers to properly plan integrated systems.
As the industry becomes more and more driven by computers, Automated Systems Technicians and Technologists are leading the way. Oil and gas companies are able to perform more tasks and collect important data due to these professionals.
- Computers and Electronics
- Design Creation
- Application of Engineering Design and Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Production and Processing
- Preventative Maintenance
- Operation and Control
- Systems Evaluation and Analysis
- Technology Design
- Complex Problem Solving
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting
- Mining and quarrying
- Transportation and warehousing
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Waste management and remediation services
Similar careers also exist in the following industries
- High Technology
- Industrial Manufacturing
- Military (MOSID)
- Petrochemical Manufacturing
- Renewable Energy/Clean Technology
User Support Technician
By Endeavor Technologies Corp.
$120,000.00 annuallyView Job
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Robotics Technician
- Robotics Technologist
- Automated Service Technician
- Automation Technician
- Field Service Technician
- Instrument and Automation Technician
- Instrumentation and Process Controls Technician
- Process Control Technician
- Programmable Logic Controllers Technician
Automated Systems Technician and Technologist SpotlightPosted
If you see drilling automation, driverless trucks, or remote sensors in the oil and gas industry, you can thank an Automated Systems Technician or Tec...Continue reading