- Oil and Gas Services
- High school diploma
About This Career
Do you love heavy metal? During the industrial revolution, if a piece of equipment was large and made of iron or steel, Boilermakers had their hand in it. So much so, that this career earned the name “the labour aristocracy” by historians. Boilermakers remain in demand to fabricate, assemble, test, maintain and repair boilers, tanks and other large containers that hold liquids and gases. Could one of them be you? Read on.
Boilermakers construct, assemble, maintain and repair stationary steam boilers, heat exchangers, liquefied natural gas (LNG) processing trains, tanks and vessels. They also test, inspect, repair and maintain these metal structures. Boilermakers bring a combination of welding, fabricating and pipefitting to a fabrication, construction or turnaround maintenance job. They align structures or plate sections to assemble boiler frame tanks or vats by following blueprint instructions.
In this occupation activities include:
- Communicating with supervisors, peers or subordinates
- Getting information
- Handling and moving objects
- Inspecting equipment, structures or material
- Judging the qualities of things, services or people
- Operating vehicles, mechanized devices or equipment
- Performing general physical activities
- Processing information
- Repairing and maintaining mechanical equipment
- Scheduling work and activities
- A high school diploma (or equivalent) is typically required.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS)
- H2S Alive
- Confined space entry
- Respirator fit testing
- Fall Protection
- Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program is typically required to become a certified tradesperson. Another route to apprenticeship training is a pre-apprenticeship foundation program. In most provinces, both of these routes can begin in high school.
- The Red Seal endorsement is the interprovincial standard of excellence, and is available to tradespersons upon successful completion of the Red Seal examination.
You have the technical skills of many metalworking crafts, from welding to fitting to fabricating and more. You bring people skills to the job too.
- Attention to detail
- Active listening
- Selecting the right equipment
- Installing equipment
- Public safety and security
- Critical thinking
- Quality control analysis
- Controlling operations
- Repairing machines and systems
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Boiler Fitter
- Boiler Installer
- Boilermaker Apprentice
- Construction Boilermaker
- Industrial Boilermaker
- Pressure Vessel Fabricator
2019 employment in Canada's oil and gas industryPosted
PetroLMI has released December 2019 data from Statistics Canada’s Labour Force Survey (LFS)*, providing a glimpse into the state of the labour market ...Continue reading