- Oil and Gas Services
- High school diploma
About This Career
You follow a recipe: measure, mix, stir and blend a ton of this and a ton of that. You ensure the smooth operation of a bulk plant, including maintaining inventory and mixing bulk products for swift and efficient delivery to oil and gas well sites. Your plant is a hub for raw materials seamlessly coming and going.
Bulk Plant Operators are employed in a bulk plant, a facility that houses pressure vessels or silos containing various blends of chemicals, drilling fluids, cement, additives and acids used in the oil and gas industry. Bulk Plant Operators are responsible for ensuring the blending of chemicals and other materials is accurate and processed in appropriate amounts. They assist with maintaining a sufficient raw material inventory. They also ensure the plant is in good working order so that the blending of materials can be completed and the products delivered to a work site in a systematic and organized manner.
Bulk Plant Operators must be precise in measuring components used in the mixing and blending operations. Calculating quantities, volumes and weights is an essential part of the job, as is following the company’s mixture requirements.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Blending and mixing all bulk products for delivery to the well site on time and as per the programmed design
- Measuring the appropriate amount of raw material to meet order specifications
- Packaging and labelling finished products per the order requirements
- Working with other plant staff and external/third party agents to ensure safe and efficient operations
- Ensuring all additives are properly labeled and stored in a safe manner and that all empty drums and pails are disposed of in the proper manner
- A high school diploma (or equivalent) is typically required.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG)
- Forklift operator
- Class 5 driver’s licence and a clean driving record
You bring physical strength, mindfulness and precision to the job along with your math skills, handiness and rolled up sleeves attitude.
- Managing material resources
- Selecting equipment
- Maintaining equipment
- Monitoring operations
- Planning and organizing
- Controlling operations
- Time management
- Attention to detail
Similar careers also exist in the following industries
- High Technology
- Industrial Manufacturing
- Military (MOSID)
- Petrochemical Manufacturing
- Renewable Energy/Clean Technology
- Supply Chain
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Blender Operator
- Blending Machine Operator
- Warehouse Plant Operator
PetroLMI launches enhanced website to support Canadians pursuing oil and gas careersPosted
CALGARY – The PetroLMI Division of Energy Safety Canada has launched an enhanced website with added features to help Canadians pursue new or different...Continue reading