- Exploration and production
- Oil and Gas Services
- Oil sands
- Post-secondary degree
About This Career
Business and Operations Analysts are company problem solvers and codebreakers. They are presented with complex internal issues and they use mathematical models and statistical analysis to calculate risk and find solutions.
Business and Operations Analysts identify efficiencies within the many complex systems and processes used in the oil and gas industry. They provide services to decision-makers by analyzing the structure, operations, managerial methods or functions of an organization in order to propose, plan and implement improvements. Business and Operations Analysts work in various business units conducting analysis in processing, operations, marketing, supply/logistics and other systems to improve performance and advise decision-makers on how to achieve the most optimal or efficient outcomes.
These analysts generally work in teams, supporting business units by providing the analysis for decision-makers. They may also be responsible for enterprise-wide analysis that impacts the broader organization.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Meeting with decision makers to identify problems to be analysed and clarify management objectives.
- Observing the current system in operation.
- Defining the problem (scope, requirements), measuring the problem, analyzing the problem, implementing a solution to the problem, and controlling the solution once in place.
- Using computers to develop and run models, investigating the merits of alternate courses of action.
- Assisting decision-makers by providing analysis and evaluation of the most efficient or optimized options.
- A bachelor's degree specializing in business administration, commerce is typically required. Degrees in disciplines such as engineering, management science, computer science or quantitative analysis may also be required depending on the business unit.
- Specific health and safety certifications may be required, determined by location of work and company requirements
Business and Operations Analysts are analytical and logical problem solvers. They also have strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills. They are excellent researchers.
- Computers and electronics
- Customer and personal service
- Public speaking
- Writing, technical writing and document production
- Operations design analysis
- Quality control analysis
- Systems evaluation and analysis
- Complex problem solving
- Cost benefit analysis
- Planning and organizing
- Attention to detail
- Mining and quarrying
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Management of companies and enterprises
- Educational services
- Health care and social assistance
- Public administration
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Optimization Analyst
- Advanced Analytics Associate
- Analytical Strategist
- Business Analytics Director
- Business Insight and Analytics Manager
- Decision Analyst
- Operations Research Manager
- Management Scientist
- Crude Optimization Analyst
- Commercial Operations Analyst
- Performance Optimization Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Efficiency Specialists
Supply Chain Analyst SpotlightPosted
Supply Chain Analysts know all about supply and demand. Whether they need to solve a quality issue, material shortage or transportation delays their j...Continue reading