- Exploration and production
- Oil and Gas Services
- Oil sands
- Post-secondary degree
About This Career
Business Development Managers help their company reach new heights. They can make something out of nothing. They find new business opportunities, new markets, new partnerships, new ways to reach existing markets, or new product or service offerings that will help business grow.
In the oil and gas industry, companies produce and sell a variety of products ranging from unrefined crude oil and gas to extracted products, like propane, and refined products, like gasoline. Each of these products has unique development, marketing, transportation and pricing considerations. Business Development Managers are leaders who analyze markets and use their understanding of the business and product offerings to explore and develop opportunities to optimize profit for the company.
Business Development Managers recognize and create business opportunities. They are responsible for the establishment of organizational policies and procedures in relation to sales and strategic planning related to products and services. In large organizations in the exploration and production sector, they often lead commercial activities through each stage of a project and are responsible for deliverables such as business optimization, mergers and acquisitions and organic growth opportunities. They also help identify issues that may derail business development opportunities and create strategies to mitigate these challenges.
In smaller organizations, particularly in the oil and gas services industry, Business Development Managers are often responsible for generating sales of products or services to new clients as well as to maintain and grow existing client business.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with existing and prospective customers and/or partners to identify, develop, and commercially implement new opportunities.
- Identifying, developing and/or evaluating marketing strategy based on knowledge of the company's objectives and products.
- Negotiating contracts with clients, vendors or distributors.
- Working collaboratively and maintaining communication channels with engineering, operations, legal, sales and other business units to develop comprehensive, integrated sales and strategic plans relating to products and services being offered by the organization.
- Directing the hiring, training or performance evaluations of marketing or sales staff.
- Typically a university degree in economics, commerce, finance, business administration, marketing or related fields is preferred. However, this is a role where experience in the industry is of greater importance than a specific degree.
- Certifications required depend on the size of the organization, area in which the individual is operating, their educational background, and their level of work experience. In some circumstances certification as a certified economic developer (Ec.D.) or certification as a Certified Marketing Research Professional (CMRP) may be required.
- Certified Economic Developer (Ec.D.)
- Certified Marketing Research Professional (CMRP)
- Often a minimum of ten years experience in developing business opportunities for liquid hydrocarbons (oil, gas, butane, propane) or in the petrochemicals industry is required
- Specific health and safety certifications may be required, determined by location of work and company requirements
Business Development Managers have very strong communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills. They are also strong project managers who are able to research, analyze data and negotiate.
- Customer and personal service
- Economics and accounting
- Human resources
- Understanding risk
- Sales and marketing
- Public speaking
- Writing, technical writing and document production
- Building a successful team
- Cost benefit analysis
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting
- Mining and quarrying
- Wholesale trade
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Management of companies and enterprises
- Waste management and remediation services
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Business Development Officer
- Business Development Director
- Market Development Executive
- Marketing Manager
- Product Manager
- Economic Development Officer
- Market Intelligence Analyst
- Market Researcher
Business Development Manager SpotlightPosted
Business Development Managers help their company reach new heights. They can make something out of nothing. They find new business opportunities, new ...Continue reading