- Oil and Gas Services
- High school diploma
About This Career
Despite the flurry of activities and loud rumble of the cement pump and bulk truck, you’re focused. Your mastery is cementing well casings. You strive for cementing perfection. Your job is to ensure that the steel pipe or casing in a wellbore doesn’t move! You’re in the zone.
As a member of the oilfield services team, Cementing Operators operate the equipment used to pump cement into an oil or gas well that secures the steel pipe or casing and provides structural integrity to the wellbore. The cement also prevents the transfer of liquids from the wellbore into groundwater.
Cement Operators perform calculations to determine the amount of cement mix and additives required, using the depth, pressure, volume of cement required and specific purpose in their calculations.
They must be able to transport equipment to and from the well location, safely rig in and operate the equipment, perform day-to-day inspections, servicing and maintenance of equipment, and complete all required paperwork accurately and on time.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Operating cement pumping and mixing equipment, such as blenders, liquid additive metering systems, centrifugal pumps and data acquisition systems
- Assisting during the rigging-up and rigging-down of cementing service equipment on work locations
- Troubleshooting cementing equipment and advising on its maintenance and repair as required
- Maintaining the bulk equipment and bulk plant
- Training operator assistants in the proper performance of pre-trip and post-trip vehicle inspections and associated paperwork and/or reports
- A high school diploma (or equivalent) is typically required. Basic mechanical skills and heavy hauling or off-road driving experience are assets to the job.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- H2S Alive
- Oilfield driver awareness
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG)
- Class 1 licence (with air brake endorsement) and a clean driving record
You are adaptable. You have strong leadership, mechanical and math skills. You use your active listening and communication skills to ensure a steady flow of information throughout the team, and a steady flow of cement into the wellbore.
- Attention to detail
- Selecting equipment
- Maintaining equipment
- Monitoring operations
- Critical thinking
- Installing equipment
- Controlling operations
- Active listening
- Document use
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical assessment and drug test
Similar careers also exist in the following industries
- High Technology
- Industrial Manufacturing
- Military (MOSID)
- Petrochemical Manufacturing
- Renewable Energy/Clean Technology
- Supply Chain
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Cementing Operator Assistant
- Cementing Bulk Material
- Cementing Service Operator
Control Centre Operator SpotlightPosted
Control Centre Operators know what’s flowing in, what’s flowing out and all the processes in between. Using sophisticated instruments and systems, the...Continue reading