- Exploration and production
- Oil and Gas Services
- Oil sands
- Post-secondary diploma
About This Career
Structured and well-grounded in math and sciences. That’s you. As a Civil Engineering Technologist in oil and gas, you help engineers with planning, designing, constructing a wide variety of facilities. That could include production, transportation or refining. From tailings ponds to refineries, wherever the engineer is needed, as a technologist or technician you have a role to play.
Civil Engineering Technologists assist engineers in planning, designing, constructing and maintaining a wide variety of oil and gas facilities. These facilities may include production plants, pumping and compressor stations, pipelines, storage facilities, tanks and reservoirs, oil and gas well sites, offshore drilling and production rigs and oil sands surface mining sites.
Typical roles in this occupation include:
- Civil Construction Engineering Technologists oversee construction projects, which includes developing work plans and estimates, selecting contractors and inspecting and reporting on projects.
- Mining or Tailings Civil Engineering Technologists provide technological services for surface water hydrology and hydraulics, drainage, flood control, water supply, dam and industrial water or wastewater process design.
- Materials and Geotechnical Technologists design, test and apply the use of materials such as rock, soil, concrete, steel, timber, asphalt, metals and polymers to engineering construction projects.
- Drafting/CADD/3D Modeling Technologists create conceptual and detailed engineering designs, drawings and calculations for a variety of structures.
- Survey Technologists develop survey and mapping standards. They also inspect survey contractor work and review survey findings.
When you start in this occupation activities may include:
- Conducting sampling and laboratory testing of solid, soil compaction, asphalt, concrete, rock and aggregate materials
- Undertaking geotechnical field work including test pit and borehole site investigations.
- Reviewing survey returns for completeness and accuracy.
- Performing calculations in accordance with applicable design codes and engineering practices
As you advance in this career, you may take on additional tasks including:
- Supporting project management activities related to construction, commissioning, operations and process optimization
- Coordinating all services required for fully functioning project sites, field facilities and camp facilities
- Completing computer-assisted designed and drafted (CADD) plans or maps for land acquisition, third-party approvals or as-built records
- Inspecting completed work, constructions sites and materials to ensure quality is maintained in accordance with contract specifications and relevant safety codes
- A post-secondary diploma in civil engineering technology (or a related discipline) is typically required. Some programs emphasize a particular sub-discipline, such as environmental, geotechnical, structural, transportation, water resources surveying or construction.
- Specific health and safety certifications will be determined by job requirements
- Standard and emergency first aid
- H2S Alive
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Pipeline Construction Safety Training (PCST)
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS)
- Certification as an engineering technologist is available through provincial associations of engineering/applied science technologists and may be required by some employers
Organized, logical and brimming with knowledge in math, physics and science, you’re capable of understanding and presenting data with a high degree of accuracy and detail. You’re always applying theory and principles of engineering.
- Building and construction
- Engineering and technology
- Critical thinking
- Quality control analysis
- Attention to detail
- Public safety and security
- Active listening
- Complex problem solving
- Judgment and decision making
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Civil Designer
- Civil Engineering Assistant
- Civil Engineering Designer
- Construction Analyst
- Engineering Assistant
- Project Technologist
- Tailings Technologist
Civil Engineering Technologist SpotlightPosted
Civil Engineering Technologists work closely with engineers to transform the world around us to meet specific needs. In the case of oil and gas, that ...Continue reading