- Oil and Gas Services
- Oil sands
- Post-secondary diploma
About This Career
Drilling oil and gas wells are ultimately the heart of the oil and gas industry. As a Completions Superintendent, you are key to enabling the wells to produce. You act as a bridge between drilling and operations. You ensure operations run safely, efficiently and on schedule.
Completions Superintendents plan, coordinate and supervise the completions of oil and gas wells or workover and abandonment programs and activities. Completions, in the context of petroleum production, occurs after drilling and is the process by which a well is enabled to produce oil or gas. Completions Superintendents provide cost estimates and coordinate resources to ensure timely, efficient operations.
Completions Superintendents are also responsible for ensuring that the completions operations are in compliance with all regulatory requirements and organizational goals. They are the main point of contact between site management and field operations. They prepare well status reports. They oversee health, safety and environment, emergency response planning and standard operating procedure activities and prepare related documentation.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Working with service suppliers to ensure the correct equipment and personnel are allocated and available for operations as required
- Preparing completion sub-assemblies and shipping them to the rig site
- Working with the sub-surface team to design fit-for-purpose completions
- Providing efficient operations oversight and undertaking immediate trouble-shooting in the event of problems during the completions phase
- Monitoring material inventory for all completions equipment
- Researching innovative technology, including new operational techniques and downhole and surface equipment
- Ensuring all corporate and regulatory safety objectives are met
- A post-secondary diploma or completion of an industry-approved training course is required, as well as significant experience in each of the areas under supervision. Some organizations may require a post-secondary degree in engineering. Field related experience is critical to this occupation.
You are a natural leader who prides yourself on your ability to work efficiently and stay organized. You have strong communication skills and work well with a variety of people.
- Public safety and security
- Judgment and decision making
- Planning and organizing
- Law and government
- Management of financial resources
- Management of material resources
- Management of personnel resources
- Production and processing
- Mining and quarrying
- Transportation and warehousing
- Professional, scientific and technical services
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Well Services Crew Supervisor
- Field Supervisor – Oil Well Servicing
- Workovers Superintendent
- Hydraulic Fracturing Supervisor
- Frac Supervisor
Completions Superintendent SpotlightPosted
Completions, in the context of petroleum production, occurs after drilling and is the process by which a well is enabled to produce oil or gas. Comple...Continue reading