About This Career
Computer Engineers research, plan, design, develop, modify, evaluate and integrate computer and information and communication system networks, such as mainframe systems, local and wide area networks, fiber-optic networks, wireless communication networks and other data communications systems. In the oil and gas industry, they may develop complex production and processing systems, surface wellhead systems, high pressure fluid control equipment and marine loading systems.
Computer Engineers interact with technicians, designers and end users through training and project implementation and maintenance phases.
Education: A post-secondary degree in computer engineering, electrical or electronics engineering, engineering physics or computer science is typically required. A master's or doctoral degree in a related engineering discipline may be required.
Employment: This occupation is found in both onshore and offshore environments and is typically employed in the exploration and production, oil sands, oil & gas services and pipeline sectors of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Design Engineer, Engineer, Field Service Engineer, Hardware Design Engineer, Hardware Engineer, Network Engineer, Project Engineer, Senior Hardware Engineer, Systems Engineer, Systems Integration Engineer, Telecommunications Hardware Engineer
- There are no recent job postings
Mild Physical Activity
Some Overtime Required
Office or Field Based
Oil and gas services
Exploration and production
- Post-secondary degree
- To obtain a license as a professional engineer (P. Eng), you must obtain a degree from an accredited engineering program, pass a Professional Practice exam and have three to four years of engineering experience, of which one year must be gained in Canada. You must also have Canadian citizenship or proof of permanent residency in Canada.
- Once licensed, engineers receive a seal to stamp their designs and drawings.
- Unlicensed engineers must work under the supervision of a P. Eng.
- Supervisory and senior positions in this career group require experience.