- Oil and Gas Services
- Grade 10
About This Career
Roll up your sleeves – expect to get busy, a little dirty and get learning. As a Construction Craft Worker, you’re in an ideal job for a new entrant to the oil and gas-related construction industry who wants to learn the ropes. You will do a lot of the heavy lifting assisting welders, carpenters, insulators, concrete finishers, boilermakers and ironworkers. Watch what they do. One day, you might be one of them. What a great way to get started in the industry!
Construction Craft Workers do a lot of heavy lifting assisting welders, carpenters, insulators, concrete finishers, boilermakers and ironworkers. They’re the second set of hands for many in oil and gas-related construction. One day, the job might be to run a chain saw, and the next day, it could be installing valves or helping surveyors slash trees and move equipment. You could also work with a pipeline crew, helping to space pipe.
This is an ideal job for a new entrant to the oil and gas industry. Construction Craft Workers do a little of everything and perform a wide array of construction-related tasks within all phases: preparing and cleaning a work site, setting up and removing equipment, assisting on concrete, masonry, steel, wood or pre-cast erection projects, assisting in demolition and excavation and possibly conduct site safety and security checks. As far as equipment goes, they could be operating air hammers, earth tampers, cement mixers, mechanical hoists or surveying and measuring equipment.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Analyzing current supply and demand, logistics and other factors. Applying this information to manage storage volumes to take advantage of market opportunities
- Providing daily quantitative and fundamental analysis of gas markets, locations, transport, storage, weather, etc.
- Formulating and/or validate daily forward curves for applicable markets and load curves
- Evaluating and monitoring all trading activity and communications
- Generating incremental revenues via various strategies including transport optimization, cross-commodity, cross-market, time-spread strategies
- Grade 10 (or equivalent) is typically required.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS)
- Pipeline Construction Safety Training (PCST)
- Confined Space entry
- Fall protection
- Completion of a two-year apprenticeship program is typically required to become a certified tradesperson. Some previous experience in construction is preferred.
- The Red Seal endorsement is the interprovincial standard of excellence, and is available to tradespersons upon successful completion of the Red Seal examination.
You have muscle strength and an eagerness to learn. As a Construction Craft Worker, you are willing to take instruction and be a team player.
- Building and construction
- Active listening
- Working with others
- Selecting equipment
- Public safety and security
- Maintaining equipment
- Critical thinking
- Attention to detail
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Construction Worker/Labourer
- Curb and Gutter Labourer
- Drain Layer
- Drop Crew Labourer
- Post Framer
PetroLMI launches enhanced website to support Canadians pursuing oil and gas careersPosted
CALGARY – The PetroLMI Division of Energy Safety Canada has launched an enhanced website with added features to help Canadians pursue new or different...Continue reading