- Exploration and production
- Oil and Gas Services
- Oil sands
- Post-secondary degree
About This Career
Oil and gas companies are complex businesses. They have a lot of moving parts, and there are employees, customers, vendors, and independent contractors who all make business possible. Contract Managers and Negotiation Specialists are the people who make sure that each of the people their company works with has a contract and understands what is expected from them.
Oil and gas companies are complex businesses and their relationships with other businesses such as suppliers are overseen by specialists in understanding and executing contracts. A Contract Manager is typically in charge of ensuring the contracts the company enters into meet the needs, the business priorities and corporate values of the company. Within larger teams, a Contract Negotiation Specialist is primarily charged with negotiating the actual terms of the specific contracts. Depending on the size of company, these two roles may be undertaken by a single Contract Manager.
These contract specialists work within business units to understand the organizational needs that a contract must meet. They typically are responsible for planning, implementing and administration of major contract awards, from developing the contracting plan and managing the contract management life cycle, to mitigating risks, awarding contracts, claim management and contract closeout.
Contract specialists typically work with project teams such as supply chain/logistics, or business units such as major projects.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Coordinating with other departments or within project teams to develop contracting strategies and the format and scope of contracts
- Drafting RFP/RFQ packages starting with standard templates and tailoring as required to execute the approved strategies and contracting plans
- Leading negotiations with potential suppliers and contractors
- Providing expert input in the preparation of contract documents and ensuring that the engineering, commercial, legal and other requirements are properly and accurately described in the contract documents
- Reviewing and managing contractual obligations of the parties and providing continual review to ensure that all terms and conditions are met
- A minimum of a four-year university degree in supply chain management, economics, commerce, finance or business administration is generally required. Specialists in unique or specialized areas may also require education in that specialization, such as engineering for major engineering or construction projects. Employers often prefer extensive knowledge of contract law and experience in contract negotiation and administration. Employers often prefer extensive knowledge of contract law and experience in contract negotiation and administration. An MBA may be required.
- Some employers indicate a preference for Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP), Project Management Professional (PMP) or National Contract Management Association (NCMA) certifications.
- Often a minimum of ten years experience in the industry is requested as a deep knowledge of the company’s requirements forms the basis of contracts
- Specific health and safety certifications may be required, determined by location of work and company requirements
Contract Managers and Negotiation Specialists have extensive knowledge of legal compliance and contract law. They are also good negotiators with strong interpersonal skills. On top of all of this, they are organized and able to keep track of all of the various contracts.
Business can run smoothly in an oil and gas company because a Contract Manager and Negotiation is overseeing every agreement, every term, and every commitment.
- Information and Document Management
- Laws and Regulations
- Understanding Risk
- Complex Problem Solving
- Cost Benefit Analysis
- Managing Conflict
- Attention to Detail
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting
- Mining and quarrying
Similar careers also exist in the following industries
- High Technology
- Industrial Manufacturing
- Military (MOSID)
- Petrochemical Manufacturing
- Renewable Energy/Clean Technology
- Supply Chain
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Contract Management Officer
- Contract Negotiator
- Contracts Officer
- Senior Contracts Specialist
- Contracts Specialist
- Contracts and Procurement Specialist
Contract Manager and Negotiation Specialist SpotlightPosted
Oil and gas companies are complex businesses. They have a lot of moving parts, and there are employees, customers, vendors, and independent contractor...Continue reading