- Oil and Gas Services
- Post-secondary diploma
- Post-secondary degree
About This Career
You work with cutting-edge technology. Your goal? To ensure other crew members on the well services team understand what’s happening at the end of a drill string on a drilling rig. When it comes to electronics, you “get” it.
Downhole Tool Specialists are responsible for ensuring that the necessary tools for use in oil or gas activity are included in the bottom hole assembly (BHA), equipment at the end of a drill string on a drilling rig. The types of tools selected are based on the oil and gas reservoir formation. They are used during well drilling, evaluation, intervention, completion and production. Once the tools are in position, Downhole Tool Specialists operate and monitor the tool to ensure the work is successfully completed.
Once the BHA is withdrawn from the wellbore, Downhole Tool Specialists perform maintenance and/or repairs on the tools to ready them for future use.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Setting up and calibrating tools.
- Rigging up and rigging out all related wireline cased hole or open hole equipment
- Checking and loading the necessary equipment required for scheduled jobs
- Completing all required logs and other company documentation for invoicing purposes
- Maintaining an inventory of downhole tools, spare parts, expendables and consumables
- Driving the wireline unit to and from various job locations
- Operating tools for completions or work-over activities in concert with other members of the crew
- A post-secondary diploma in a mechanical, electrical, electronics, instrumentation, petroleum engineering technology or related discipline is typically required. A post-secondary degree in an applied science discipline, such as engineering, mathematics and geology, is also an option.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- H2S Alive
- Oilfield Driver Awareness
- Class 3 or 5 driver’s licence (or equivalent) appropriate to the vehicle being driven and a clean driving record
- Accreditation and professional membership through a recognized organization such as the Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta (ASET) or the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) is preferred by most oil and gas service companies
You bring physics and electronics together. Often working alone, you’re independent but you also have the interpersonal skills required to work with a crew.
- Critical thinking
- Public safety and security
- Selecting equipment
- Monitoring operations
- Active listening
- Installing equipment
- Complex problem solving
- Instructing others
- Attention to detail
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical assessment and drug test
Rig Technician - Derrickhand
By Apex Well Servicing
$30.00 to $40.00 hourly (to be negotiated)View Job
Rig Technician - Derrickhand
By Lockwell Servicing Ltd.
$36.00 hourlyView Job
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Employment in Petrochemicals and RefiningPosted
Petrochemicals The chemical industry in Canada is a diverse group of companies that create everything from basic chemicals and synthetic fibres to p...Continue reading