- Exploration and production
- Oil and Gas Services
- Oil sands
- Post-secondary diploma
About This Career
The earliest drafting document is a fossilized aerial plan of a Babylonian fortress that dates back to 2000 B.C. Sketches and hand drawn plans continued for thousands of years. Today Drafting Technologists in the oil and gas industry work closely with engineers, architects and industrial designers to create visual representations of technical information and designs. They use computers, complex design programs and 3D printers.
Drafting Technologists prepare engineering designs and drawings in multidisciplinary engineering teams or in support of engineers, architects or industrial designers. This expertise addresses operational, conceptual, design and construction drawing needs, and includes the management of drawings and drawing control across areas of the organization.
When you start in this occupation activities may include:
- Operating computer-assisted design (CAD) and drafting workstations
- Developing and preparing design sketches.
As you advance in this career, you may take on additional tasks including:
- Drafting, designing and modifying drilling tool equipment and their components
- Assisting engineers with the modification of design options for existing equipment
- Preparing construction specifications, including costs and material estimates
- Providing support to all personnel in relation to drawings and tag information, ensuring that questions are answered in a timely fashion and identified issues are logged and addressed
- Providing quality checks on incoming drawings from external contractors, ensuring company standards are followed
- A post-secondary diploma in engineering design and drafting technology is typically required. Programs related to AutoCAD operation, engineering design and drafting or GIS and CADD integration are preferred.
- Specific health and safety certifications will be determined by job requirements
- Trade certification for draftspersons is available.
- Certification in engineering design and drafting technology or in a related field through provincial associations of engineering/applied science technologists may be required by employers.
- A period of supervised work experience, usually two years, is required before certification.
You combine artistic vision with math and computer skills. A detail-oriented, organized critical thinker who thrives on a challenge, you are able to communicate and work well with others.
- Computer use
- Active listening
- Attention to detail
- Engineering and technology
- Document use
- Technology design
- Complex problem solving
- Judgment and decision making
- Document use
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting
- Mining and quarrying
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Public administration
- Transportation and warehousing
CAD (computer-aided Design) Technologist
$53,000.00 annuallyView Job
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Computer-Assisted Design (CAD) and Drafting Technologist
- Design and Drafting Technologist
- Engineering Design and Drafting Technologist
- Mechanical Draftsperson
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) Operator
- CAD Specialist
- Document Controller
- Piping Designer
- Civil Engineering Technologist
- Process Designer/Technologist
Drafting Technologist SpotlightPosted
The earliest drafting document is a fossilized aerial plan of a Babylonian fortress that dates back to 2000 B.C. Sketches and hand-drawn plans have be...Continue reading