- Oil and Gas Services
- Post-secondary degree
About This Career
Drilling fluids are your focus in this role. Your mastery of mud, math, motion and molecules allows oil and gas wells to function safely and efficiently. Your job is to ensure that the drilling fluids used in an oil and gas well are the best ones for the operation!
Drilling Fluids Representatives work alongside the drilling crew to ensure that the drilling fluid used on an oil or gas well site meets required specifications for the type of well in development and is compatible with the oil or gas formations being drilled. They also provide guidance in the event of issues.
Drilling Fluids Representatives ensure that the proper materials are supplied as needed. They may be required to undertake the activities of an on-site Drilling Fluids Specialist, which requires strong knowledge of drilling fluids and their properties. This occupation is commonly referred to as the Mud Man.
Drilling Fluids Representatives test fluids throughout an operation to ensure compliance with specifications, and maintain and calibrate the necessary test equipment. They advise crews on the safe handling and use of drilling fluids and provide expert advice on the proper disposal of waste fluids. They may also coordinate with Solids Control Technicians to ensure that drilling fluids are being properly cleaned for re-use.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Performing well-site analyses of all drilling fluid parameters required by the client or operating company
- Recording any fluids lost or increases in volumes of the products used in drilling * Recognizing drilling problems and proposing solutions
- Demonstrating a strong knowledge of the drilling process and drilling fluids
- Ensuring that all drilling fluid test equipment is well maintained and regularly calibrated
- Ensuring clean mud at the proper viscosity is provided for drilling
- A post-secondary degree in a science or engineering discipline is typically required, although less formal education with 8-10 years of drilling experience may also be acceptable.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- H2S Alive
Class 5 driver’s licence and a clean driving record
You have strong communication skills to deal with clients and colleagues. You are a great listener and problem-solver.
- Active listening
- Computer use
- Attention to detail
- Quality control analysis
- Complex problem solving
- Judgment and decision making
- Document use
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Mud Man/Woman
- Mud Specialist
- Field Service Representative
- Technical Services Representative
- Drilling Fluids Engineer
- Mud Engineer
Drilling Fluids Representative SpotlightPosted
Drilling Fluids Representatives know everything about the drilling fluids that are critical to a drilling operation. These fluids keep the drill bit c...Continue reading