About This Career
Electrical Technicians and Technologists lay out, build, test, install, troubleshoot and repair electronic components, parts, equipment, and systems, such as computer equipment, control instrumentation, and instrumentation panels, in the oil and gas industry. They usually work under the direction of engineering staff.
Typical roles in this occupation include:
- Electrical Project Technologists coordinate electrical upgrades to facilities, equipment and systems. They oversee the work of electrical engineering and construction contractors by scheduling work, procuring equipment and arranging electrical permits and inspections.
- Electrical Design Technologists develop and analyze 2D and 3D computerized drawings based on sketches, notes, mark-ups and specifications provided by engineers, designers and surveyors. They design layouts, schematics, diagrams, schedules and installation details.
- Electrical Estimators prepare construction cost estimates for electrical materials, labour and equipment based on design drawings, specifications, bids, quotes and business needs.
- Distributed Control Systems (DCS) and Programmable Logic Control (PLC) Programmers program, test and troubleshoot process control equipment and system components. They repair, install, troubleshoot and maintain electronic, electrical, pneumatic and mechanical control systems.
Education: For Electrical Technicians, a one- or two-year post-secondary diploma in electrical or electronics engineering technology is typically required. For Electrical Technologists, a two- or three-year post-secondary diploma in electrical or electronics engineering technology, computer engineering technology, telecommunications technology or an equivalent discipline is typically required.
Employment: This occupation is found in both onshore and offshore environments and is typically employed in the oil sands, exploration and production (E&P), oil and gas services, and pipeline sectors of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Electrical Project Coordinator, Electrical Designer, Electronics Engineering Technologist, Electronics Engineering Technician, Design Technologist, Electrical Field Service Technician, Instrumentation Technologist, Electrical and Instrumentation Technician, PLC/SCADA Programmer, Process Control Technologist
- Here are the two most recent postings:
Electrical and electronics quality control technologist
Posted on Jul 05 2018
By ward and burke microtunnelling ltd.Mississauga Dependant upon experience
Posted on Jul 04 2018
By priority fire protection ltd.London Dependant upon experience
Mild Physical Activity
Working from Heights
Some Overtime Required
Technicians and Technologists
Oil and gas services
Exploration and production
- Post-secondary diploma