- Oil and Gas Services
- High school diploma
About This Career
You’re the logistics mastermind. You look at the big picture and make sure all the parts fit together – the who, the what, the where and the when. It’s all about efficiency. That means ensuring all the materials, equipment, resources and personnel required on a job site arrive at the right place and time and at minimal cost or delay. You are a great planner and have the flexibility to adapt plans with changing situations.
Field Dispatchers process and transmit information and instructions to coordinate the activities of oil and gas vehicle operators, crews and equipment using a variety of computer-aided communications and dispatching equipment. They ensure all the necessary resources and personnel are ready to go at the right place and time, whether it be an oil or gas well site or equipment storage yard. While they begin with a plan, Field Dispatchers can adjust quickly to accommodate any unexpected changes and still meet contractual obligations. Field Dispatchers require a deep understanding of the operation being conducted, as well as a solid knowledge of equipment and personnel requirements, regulatory specifications and company procedures, to ensure that resources are used efficiently and effectively, regardless of changing circumstances in the field. They also maintain close relationships with third-party vendors, rental/leasing companies, sub-contractors and their own operating divisions to do their jobs effectively.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Liaising between field operations and clients to ensure smooth operations
- Conferring with customers or supervising personnel to address questions, problems or requests for service or equipment
- Relaying work orders, messages or information to or from work crews, supervisors or field inspectors using phones or two-way radios
- Coordinating 3rd party resources, such as cranes, for rig-in, rig-out and field operations
- Advising personnel about traffic problems, such as construction areas, accidents, congestion, weather conditions or other hazards
- A high school diploma (or equivalent) is typically required.
You are adaptable, innovative and can tolerate stressful situations. As a logistics mastermind, you oversee all the activities with the help of these skills and knowledge.
- Customer and personal service
- Public safety and security
- Managing material resources
- Attention to detail
- Planning and organizing
- Time management
- Active listening
- Selecting the right equipment
Also known as
- Oilfield Dispatcher
- Equipment Dispatcher
- Operations Dispatcher
Field Dispatcher SpotlightPosted
Field Dispatchers are the logistics masterminds in the field. They look at the big picture and make sure all the parts fit together at the right time....Continue reading