- Exploration and production
- Petrochemicals and Refining
- High school diploma
About This Career
Oil and gas exploration and production in Canada occurs in a wide variety of locations across Canada, including many that are remote and widespread. Field Operators have a number of responsibilities including monitoring, operating and maintaining the vast network of pipes, pumps, separators, centrifuges, processing units, compressors, and valves in a variety of oil and gas and petrochemical facilities.
In this occupation, activities may include:
- Operating electronic or computerized control panel from a central control room to monitor and optimize physical and chemical processes for several processing units.
- Operating control panels to coordinate and regulate process variables such as temperature and pressure, and to direct product flow rate, according to process schedules.
- Reading automatic gauges at specified intervals to determine the flow rate of oil into or from tanks, and the amount of oil in tanks.
- Monitoring process indicators, instruments, gauges, and meters to detect and report any possible problems.
- Operating compressors, pumps and separators.
- Servicing mechanical equipment (pumps and compressors) devices.
- High School Diploma is required with some companies requiring a College Diploma in process operation, sciences or a related subject
- First aid
- Hydrogen Sulphide Awareness
- Blowout Prevention
- Well Control
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG)
- Firefighting or other safety and technical subjects may be required and are obtained by completing short courses
- A provincial power engineer licence, compressor operator, steam operator or refrigeration certificate may be required when certain kinds of equipment are included in the process.
- A valid driver's license is required.
- Production and Processing
- Understanding Risk
- Works Safely
- Interpreting Documents/Plans
- Mechanical Operation
- Equipment Maintenance
- Equipment Selection
- Operation and Control
- Retrieving data.
- Quality Control Analysis
- Attention to Detail
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Oilfield Prduction Operator
- Operations Technicial
- Petroleum Process Operator
- Petroleum Unit Operator
- Plant Operator
- Gas Field Production Operator
Your hub for information on career transitioningPosted
The Career Exploration Forum has ended, but all the recorded content is now available on the Careers in Oil + Gas YouTube channel! You’ll find experts...Continue reading