- Exploration and production
- Petrochemicals and Refining
- High school diploma
About This Career
Oil and gas exploration and production in Canada occurs in a wide variety of locations across Canada, including many that are remote and widespread. Field Operators have a number of responsibilities including monitoring, operating and maintaining the vast network of pipes, pumps, separators, centrifuges, processing units, compressors, and valves in a variety of oil and gas and petrochemical facilities.
In this occupation, activities may include:
- Operating electronic or computerized control panel from a central control room to monitor and optimize physical and chemical processes for several processing units.
- Operating control panels to coordinate and regulate process variables such as temperature and pressure, and to direct product flow rate, according to process schedules.
- Reading automatic gauges at specified intervals to determine the flow rate of oil into or from tanks, and the amount of oil in tanks.
- Monitoring process indicators, instruments, gauges, and meters to detect and report any possible problems.
- Operating compressors, pumps and separators.
- Servicing mechanical equipment (pumps and compressors) devices.
- High School Diploma is required with some companies requiring a College Diploma in process operation, sciences or a related subject
- First aid
- Hydrogen Sulphide Awareness
- Blowout Prevention
- Well Control
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG)
- Firefighting or other safety and technical subjects may be required and are obtained by completing short courses
- A provincial power engineer licence, compressor operator, steam operator or refrigeration certificate may be required when certain kinds of equipment are included in the process.
- A valid driver's license is required.
- Production and Processing
- Understanding Risk
- Works Safely
- Interpreting Documents/Plans
- Mechanical Operation
- Equipment Maintenance
- Equipment Selection
- Operation and Control
- Retrieving data.
- Quality Control Analysis
- Attention to Detail
This profile was funded by the Province of Alberta working in partnership with the Government of Canada to provide employment support programs and services.Learn more about PetroLMI
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Oilfield Production Operator
- Operations Technicial
- Petroleum Process Operator
- Petroleum Unit Operator
- Plant Operator
- Gas Field Production Operator
Employment in Petrochemicals and RefiningPosted
Petrochemicals The chemical industry in Canada is a diverse group of companies that create everything from basic chemicals and synthetic fibres to p...Continue reading