- Exploration and production
- Oil and Gas Services
- Oil sands
- Petrochemicals and Refining
- Post-secondary degree
About This Career
Every company has a financial story to tell, and Investor Relations Specialists are the storytellers. They provide accurate information about the company to private and institutional investors and help them make informed decisions about whether to buy or sell shares in the company.
Publicly traded oil and gas companies hire Investor Relations (IR) Specialists to provide investors with an accurate account of company affairs. This helps private and institutional investors make informed decisions to buy or sell shares in the company. A company’s IR Specialists also serve as a bridge for providing market intelligence to internal corporate management.
Investor Relations Specialists communicate with investors, shareholders, government organizations and the overall financial community. They typically coordinate shareholder meetings and press conferences, releasing financial data, leading financial analyst briefings, publishing reports to Canadian securities regulators and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and handling the public side of any financial crisis. IR departments are required to be tightly integrated with a company’s accounting department, legal department and executive management team.
IR departments work closely with communications departments. IR specialists inform company personnel to avoid trading in black out periods, where it is illegal to discuss certain aspects of a company and its performance.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Conducting analysis and presenting recommendations on ways to enhance disclosure.
- Assisting in developing strategies to increase awareness of the company within the investment community.
- Supporting the team in developing/preparing IR materials during quarterly reporting and annual general meeting preparation in addition to other ad hoc projects requested by senior management.
- Building strong relationships with the sell-side and buy-side analyst community and acting as a spokesperson for the company.
- Monitoring and providing analysis on market trends, share ownership and performance relative to peers.
- This career typically requires a bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, Commerce, Business Administration or related post-secondary designation. Some employers may prefer professional designation (CFA, CPA) and/or an MBA.
- Certification is not required, as there is currently no legislation regulating this occupation.
- Familiarity with complex situations such as mergers and acquisitions, shareholder activism, proxy challenges and litigation are an asset.
- Specific health and safety certifications may be required, determined by location of work and company requirements
Investor Relations Specialists have strong public speaking and outreach skills, and also have the financial knowledge necessary to sell individuals on the benefits offered by their company.
- Communications and Media
- Economics and Accounting
- Laws and Regulations
- Understanding Risk
- Public Speaking
- Writing, Technical Writing, Document Production
- Managing Finances
- Cost Benefit Analysis
- Managing Conflict
- Leading / Living the Vision and Values
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting
- Mining and quarrying
- Retail trade
- Information and cultural industries
- Finance and insurance
- Real estate and rental and leasing
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Management of companies and enterprises
By ADD CANADA
$32.00 hourlyView Job
Marketing Consultant - Advertising
By Explorer Group Canada Ltd.
$34.15 hourlyView Job
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Analyst, Investor Relations
- Senior Advisor, Investor Relations
- Corporate Affairs Manager
- Market Development Manager
- Correspondence and Public Inquiries Manager
- Financial Planning and Reporting Manager
- Investments Research Director
Your hub for information on career transitioningPosted
The Career Exploration Forum has ended, but all the recorded content is now available on the Careers in Oil + Gas YouTube channel! You’ll find experts...Continue reading