- Oil and Gas Services
- Oil sands
- Post-secondary diploma
About This Career
Laboratory Technicians combine a love of chemistry with the oil and gas industry. They are the ones behind the scenes who test drilling results in the field, examine water quality in SAGD processes, or work with chemicals within refinery processes in oil sands operations. They monitor and analyze chemical reactions and levels to understand, measure and remediate any issues.
The oil and gas industry includes sophisticated chemical processes in many areas, from testing drilling results in the field to testing water quality in SAGD processes to working with chemicals within refinery processes in oil sands operations.
Laboratory Technicians work throughout the industry, setting up and conducting chemical experiments, tests and analyses. They also develop and document new testing procedures as part of continuous improvement.
They often work in teams and are responsible for the quality control of chemical processes.
In this occupation, activities may include
- Maintaining, cleaning or sterilizing laboratory instruments or equipment
- Setting up and conducting chemical experiments, tests and analyses using techniques such as chromatography, spectroscopy, physical and chemical separation and microscopy
- Conducting or assisting in air and water quality testing and assessments, environmental monitoring and protection activities, and developing and complying with standards
- Monitoring product quality to ensure compliance with standards and specifications
- Compiling records and interpreting experimental or analytical results
- Laboratory technicians usually require completion of a one- or two-year college program in chemical, biochemical or chemical engineering technology.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- National certification for chemical technicians is available through the Canadian Society for Chemical Technology.
- Certification in chemical engineering technology or in a related field is available through provincial associations of engineering/applied science technologists and technicians and may be required by employers.
- Chemical technologists and technicians are regulated in Quebec and Alberta.
- Computers and Electronics
- Production and Processing
- Works Safely
- Interpreting Documents/Plans
- Writing, Technical Writing, Document Production
- Quality Control Analysis
- Systems Evaluation and Analysis
- Attention to Detail
- Mining and quarrying
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Waste management and remediation services
- Health care and social assistance
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Chemical analyst
- Laboratory analyst (Lab analyst)
- Laboratory technician (Lab tech)
- Laboratory tester (Lab tester)
- Quality control technician (QC technician)
- Research technician
- Water quality technician
Laboratory Technician SpotlightPosted
Laboratory Technicians combine a love of chemistry with the oil and gas industry. They are the ones behind the scenes who test drilling results in the...Continue reading