- Exploration and production
- Petrochemicals and Refining
- Oil and Gas Services
- Oil sands
- Post-secondary degree
About This Career
Canada’s energy and petrochemical sectors are complex, integrated industries that are influenced and impact by a plethora of financial, business, regulatory and investment factors. Market Analysts review data pertinent to these factors from a wide variety of sources and apply that information to develop recommendations for business decisions by corporate leadership.
Market Analysts usually have a background in commerce, finance or business administration and use their expertise to develop and synthesize highly analytical data to provide insight into the markets where their companies operate.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Evaluating financial risks, preparing financial forecasts, financing scenarios and other documents concerning capital management, and writing reports and recommendations.
- Reviewing third-part energy market information and analysis to develop strategic and tactical recommendations for business leaders' consideration.
- Conferring with other managers to identify trends or key group interests or concerns or to provide advice on business decisions.
- Developing and maintaining various information databases to house market intelligence and reporting
- Maintaining lists of business sensitive information across the industry including well counts, drilling activity, consumption forecasts, storage level and product inventories.
- Collaborating with others in a company including traders, investor relations professionals, finance professionals to convert market intelligence into actionable opportunities.
- A bachelor's degree in commerce, business administration or economics and on-the-job training and industry courses and programs are usually required.
- The Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation, available through a program conducted by the Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts in the United States, may be required by some employers.
- Communications and Media
- Economics and Accounting
- Information and Document Management
- Cyber/Data Security
- Laws and Regulations
- Understanding Risk
- Sales and Marketing
- Cost Benefit Analysis
- Data Entry
- Managing Finances
- Complex Problem Solving
- Attention to Detail
- Leading / Living The Vision And Values
- Stress Tolerance
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting
- Mining and quarrying
- Wholesale trade
- Retail trade
- Transportation and warehousing
- Information and cultural industries
- Finance and insurance
- Real estate and rental and leasing
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Management of companies end enterprises
- Administrative and support
- Waste management and remediation services
- Educational services
- Health care and social assistance
- Arts, entertainment and recreation
- Accommodation and food services
- Public administration
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Finance and commercial affairs analyst
- Gas Market Analyst
- Oil Market Analyst
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Planning Analyst
- Competitive Intelligence Analyst
- Data Analyst
- Intelligence Analyst
- Market Intelligence Analyst
- Market Intelligence Consultant
- Strategic Business Intelligence Consultant
Your hub for information on career transitioningPosted
The Career Exploration Forum has ended, but all the recorded content is now available on the Careers in Oil + Gas YouTube channel! You’ll find experts...Continue reading