- Exploration and production
- Oil sands
- Oil and Gas Services
- Petrochemicals and Refining
- Post-secondary degree
About This Career
Petroleum and petrochemical production and processing facilities are complex systems of buildings, equipment, tanks and machines. Mechanical Maintenance Planners are responsible for developing and implementing scheduled and planned maintenance to the multitude of components of these systems to ensure continued safe and efficient operations as well as to ensure maximized production and cost control for the operators.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Creating, using and maintaining plant history to develop future maintenance requirements for equipment, forecasting operational impacts and cost projections.
- Developing specific maintenance plans for various equipment and mechanical resources.
- Coordinating reports from maintenance technicians and using information to develop system-wide and location and/or equipment maintenance plans.
- Preparing work plans based on logical sequencing of events and associated tasks.
- Conducting site inspections to determine maintenance requirements and scopes of work for specific maintenance projects.
- Identifying parts, materials, tools, external services and resources required to undertake successful preventative maintenance and unscheduled repair work.
- Developing standard maintenance procedures to adhere to regulatory requirements and equipment standards and company policies.
- Ensuring the ongoing validity of safety permits for sites and/or equipment.
- Completion of a university degree in Mechanical Engineering or 2-3 year college diploma program in mechanical or electrical engineering technology are usually required.
- Certification in mechanical engineering technology or in a related field is available through provincial associations of engineering/applied science technologists and technicians and may be required for some positions.
- Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
- Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, and after three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination.
- Depending on the company and responsibilities, typical requirements may include:
- Strong skills in and experience using project management and maintenance planning software such as SAP, Maximo and Primavera
- A period of supervised work experience, usually two years, is required before certification.
- Building and Construction
- Customer and Personal Service
- Application of Engineering Design and Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Production and Processing
- Works Safely
- Cost Benefit Analysis
- Interpreting Documents/Plans
- Preventative Maintenance
- Managing Material Resources
- Systems Evaluation and Analysis
- Professional Judgment and Decision Making
- Planning and Organizing
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting
- Mining and quarrying
- Wholesale trade
- Retail trade
- Transportation and warehousing
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Management of companies and enterprises
- Waste management and remediation services
- Health care and social assistance
$80,000.00 to $100,000.00 annually (to be negotiated)View Job
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Director of maintenance
- Mechanical engineering technologist
- Mechanical equipment engineering assistant
- Mechanical maintenance planner
- Mechanical technical inspector
- Mechanical technologist
- Facilities maintenance head
- Facility maintenance manager
- Facility management director
- Industrial maintenance manager
- Maintenance and service manager
- Maintenance and service superintendent
- Maintenance coordinator
- Maintenance director
- Maintenance manager
- Maintenance operations manager
- Maintenance operations superintendent
- Maintenance planner
- Maintenance services manager
- Maintenance superintendent
- Maintenance support services chief
Your hub for information on career transitioningPosted
The Career Exploration Forum has ended, but all the recorded content is now available on the Careers in Oil + Gas YouTube channel! You’ll find experts...Continue reading