- Oil and Gas Services
- High school diploma
About This Career
You get to work with the big toys – the towering machines and tools of the oil and gas trade: pumps, tanks, vessels, shakers, filters, screens, centrifuges, hydraulic and pneumatic systems, generators, loaders, materials handling equipment, and more.
Mechanical Technicians are responsible for the inspection, maintenance, troubleshooting, repair and overhaul of mechanical systems used in the oil and gas industry, such as downhole tools, pumps, generators, motors and turbines. They may also be involved in the design and development of machines, machine components and tools.
Mechanical Technicians have a thorough knowledge of mechanical systems and are able to quickly troubleshoot problems.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Setting up and testing equipment to ensure that it functions properly
- Analyzing test results in relation to design or rated specifications and test objectives, and modifying or adjusting equipment to meet specifications
- Operating drill press, grinders, engine lathe or other machines to modify parts or to fabricate experimental parts for testing
- Repairing or adjusting equipment, machines or defective components, replacing worn parts, and returning items to service
- A high school diploma is typically required, although some employers prefer completion of a one- or two-year college program in mechanical engineering technology or a trade such as machinist or millwright. Specific training is usually provided on-the-job.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Specific health and safety certifications will be determined by job requirements
- H2S Alive
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Class 5 driver’s licence and a clean driving record
Often, you’re a handyperson; you have a thorough knowledge of mechanical systems and can quickly troubleshoot problems.
- Public safety and security knowledge
- Maintaining equipment
- Repairing machines and equipment
- Active listening
- Selecting equipment
- Systems analysis
- Systems evaluation
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting
- Mining and quarrying
- Transportation and warehousing
Also known as
- Mechanical Engineering Technician
- Design Technician
- Pipeline Technician
- Field Service Technician
- Downhole Tools Technician
- Maintenance Technician
- Tool Technician
Mechanical Technician SpotlightPosted
Mechanical Technicians work with the big toys – the towering machines and tools of the oil and gas trade: pumps, tanks, vessels, shakers, filters, scr...Continue reading