- Exploration and production
- Oil and Gas Services
- Oil sands
- High school diploma
About This Career
Tinkering, turning, tuning, fixing – Millwrights, sometimes referred to as Industrial Mechanics, are some of the most technically difficult of trades. You install, maintain, troubleshoot, overhaul and repair stationary industrial machinery and mechanical equipment. If you’re technically and mechanically inclined, you may want to consider putting your skills to the test in this lesser known trades.
Millwrights, sometimes referred to as Industrial Mechanics, install, maintain, troubleshoot, overhaul and repair stationary industrial machinery and mechanical equipment. They may work on mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic, fuel, lubrication, cooling and exhaust systems with components that include pumps, fans, tanks, conveyors, presses and generators.
They work on new or maintenance projects at manufacturing, processing and production facilities or on construction sites and have a mindset for troubleshooting and repair to keep facilities and equipment running.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Examining parts for defects, such as breakage or excessive wear
- Assembling and installing equipment
- Reassembling equipment after the completion of inspections, testing and repairs
- Cutting and welding metal to repair broken metal parts, fabricate new parts and assemble new equipment
- Repairing or maintaining the operating condition of industrial production and processing machinery or equipment
- A high school diploma (or equivalent) is typically required.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS)
- H2S Alive
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Fall protection
- Confined space entry
- Pipeline Construction Safety Training (PCST)
- Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program is required to become a certified tradesperson. Another route into apprenticeship training is a pre-apprenticeship foundation program. In most provinces, both of these routes can begin in high school.
- The Red Seal endorsement is the interprovincial standard of excellence, and is available to tradespersons upon successful completion of the Red Seal examination.
You’re a whiz at mechanics and thrive on the challenge of troubleshooting. You’re able to follow procedures closely when adjusting machinery or installing new equipment. You bring good eye-hand coordination, strength, agility and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Working with others
- Critical thinking
- Adapting to change
- Instructing others
- Taking initiative
- Maintaining equipment
- Time management
- Mining and quarrying
By Ancast Industries Ltd.
$33.17 hourlyView Job
By Dana Canada Corporation
$29.77 hourlyView Job
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Industrial Mechanic
- Journeyman Millwright
- Millwright Apprentice
PetroLMI launches enhanced website to support Canadians pursuing oil and gas careersPosted
CALGARY – The PetroLMI Division of Energy Safety Canada has launched an enhanced website with added features to help Canadians pursue new or different...Continue reading