- Post-secondary diploma
About This Career
While an Offshore Installation Manager isn’t quite a captain, and an offshore rig isn’t quite a ship, they’re still the one guiding the rig’s progress, even if it doesn’t move an inch. Managing the safety of their workers and the efficiency of their equipment, an Offshore Installation Manager sets a rig’s production course and maintains it every day.
On offshore drilling platforms, the Offshore Installation Manager (OIM) is the one individual completely in charge of the rig and for the drilling crews, the equipment and the overall drilling operation. Their position is equivalent to the Captain position onboard a ship. The OIM is responsible for the safety of the rig and personnel and provides the direction and leadership required to keep the operation running smoothly. They also ensure that the client’s representative is kept informed about all activities and operations onboard the rig.
OIM’s are typically contractors, employed by drilling and well service contracting companies or employed directly by petroleum companies. They are senior leaders with several years of experience in oil and gas.
In this occupation, activities may include:
- Supervising, coordinating and scheduling the activities of workers who drill for oil and gas, operate service rigs or provide oil and gas well services.
- Analyzing worker or production problems and recommending solutions, such as improving production methods or implementing motivational plans.
- Inspecting work progress, equipment or construction sites to verify safety or to ensure that specifications are met.
- Resolving problems and recommending measures to improve productivity and safety.
- Preparing production and other reports.
- A minimum of a two-year college diploma in petroleum engineering technology, or comparative college or petroleum industry approved training courses is required.
- Extensive experience in the occupations supervised is required.
- First Aid
- H2S Alive
- Blowout Prevention
- Well Control
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG)
- Unlimited Oceangoing Masters License
- OIM License/Endorsement
- Ship's Security Officer License
- Nautical Institute DP Certificate
- Valid GMDSS License
- Lifeboatman Certificate
- Application of Engineering Design and Technology
- Security of People and Property
- Production and Processing
- Understanding Risk
- Promotion of Occupational Health and Safety
- Cost Benefit Analysis
- Interpreting Documents/Plans
- Preventative Maintenance
- Equipment Selection
- Managing Finances
- Managing Material Resources
- Managing Personnel Resources
- Systems Evaluation and Analysis
- Building a Successful Team
- Complex Problem Solving
- Professional Judgment and Decision Making
- Planning and Organizing
- Leading / Living the Vision and Values
- Professional, scientific and technical services
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Offshore Drilling Rig Superintendent
- Platform Superintendent - Oil and Gas Drilling
- Oil Well Drilling Manager
- Assistant Offshore Drilling Rig Superintendent
- Assistant Platform Superintendent
Offshore Installation Manager (OIM) SpotlightPosted
While an Offshore Installation Manager isn’t quite a captain, and an offshore rig isn’t quite a ship, they’re still the one guiding the rig’s progress...Continue reading