- Exploration and production
- Oil sands
- Oil and Gas Services
- Petrochemicals and Refining
- High school diploma
About This Career
The energy and petrochemical industries are complex, highly automated and technical, and so are their facilities. Panel Operators monitor gauges and control a myriad of pipes, tanks, pumps and other machines that process oil, gas and natural gas liquids in control rooms at a variety of facilities.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Operating electronic or computerized control panel from a central control room to monitor and optimize physical and chemical processes for several processing units
- Operating control panels to coordinate and regulate process variables such as temperature and pressure, and to direct product flow rate, according to process schedules.
- Adjusting equipment performance to match operating requirement (centrifuges for low gravity solids removal or barite recovery), optimize screen selection on shale shakers or mud cleaners etc.
- Ensuring equipment is in good condition and operating properly
- Reading automatic gauges at specified intervals to determine the flow rate of oil into or from tanks, and the amount of oil in tanks.
- Monitoring process indicators, instruments, gauges, and meters to detect and report any possible problems.
- Operating and servicing compressors, pumps, and separators
- Supervising, coordinating and educating service operators and operator assistants and any third parties in rig up, operations, routine service and maintenance and rig down of all operations equipment
- Conducting general housekeeping of units, including wiping up oil spills and performing general cleaning duties.
- A High School Diploma is required with some companies requiring a College Diploma in process operation, sciences or a related subject
Depending on the employer the following certifications may be required:
- First Aid
- Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness (H2S Alive)
- Blowout Prevention
- Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS)
- Well Control
- Pressure equipment certification such as ABSA
- A provincial power engineer licence, compressor operator or refrigeration certificate may be required when certain kinds of equipment are included in the process.
- Specific health and safety certifications may be required, determined by location of work and company requirements.
- Computers and Electronics
- Production and Processing
- Understanding Risk
- Works Safely
- Interpreting Documents/Plans
- Mechanical Operation
- Equipment Maintenance
- Operation and Control
- Operation Monitoring
- Attention to Detail
- Mining and quarrying
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Waste management and remediation services
This profile was funded by the Province of Alberta working in partnership with the Government of Canada to provide employment support programs and services.Find out about PetroLMI
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Panel operator - chemical processing
- Process technician
- Refinery operator
- Refinery process technician
- Upgrader process operator - chemical processing
- Process technician - chemical processing
- Process laboratory operator
- Processing operator - chemical processing
- Production operator - chemical processing
- Petroleum blender
- Petroleum distillation operator
- Petroleum process operator
- Petroleum refiner
- Petroleum refinery operator
- Petroleum treater
- Petroleum unit operator
Employment in Petrochemicals and RefiningPosted
Petrochemicals The chemical industry in Canada is a diverse group of companies that create everything from basic chemicals and synthetic fibres to p...Continue reading