- Exploration and production
- Oil sands
- Oil and Gas Services
- Petrochemicals and Refining
- High school diploma
About This Career
The energy and petrochemical industries are complex, highly automated and technical, and so are their facilities. Panel Operators monitor gauges and control a myriad of pipes, tanks, pumps and other machines that process oil, gas and natural gas liquids in control rooms at a variety of facilities.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Operating electronic or computerized control panel from a central control room to monitor and optimize physical and chemical processes for several processing units
- Operating control panels to coordinate and regulate process variables such as temperature and pressure, and to direct product flow rate, according to process schedules.
- Adjusting equipment performance to match operating requirement (centrifuges for low gravity solids removal or barite recovery), optimize screen selection on shale shakers or mud cleaners etc.
- Ensuring equipment is in good condition and operating properly
- Reading automatic gauges at specified intervals to determine the flow rate of oil into or from tanks, and the amount of oil in tanks.
- Monitoring process indicators, instruments, gauges, and meters to detect and report any possible problems.
- Operating and servicing compressors, pumps, and separators
- Supervising, coordinating and educating service operators and operator assistants and any third parties in rig up, operations, routine service and maintenance and rig down of all operations equipment
- Conducting general housekeeping of units, including wiping up oil spills and performing general cleaning duties.
- A High School Diploma is required with some companies requiring a College Diploma in process operation, sciences or a related subject
Depending on the employer the following certifications may be required:
- First Aid
- Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness (H2S Alive)
- Blowout Prevention
- Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS)
- Well Control
- Pressure equipment certification such as ABSA
- A provincial power engineer licence, compressor operator or refrigeration certificate may be required when certain kinds of equipment are included in the process.
- Specific health and safety certifications may be required, determined by location of work and company requirements.
- Computers and Electronics
- Production and Processing
- Understanding Risk
- Works Safely
- Interpreting Documents/Plans
- Mechanical Operation
- Equipment Maintenance
- Operation and Control
- Operation Monitoring
- Attention to Detail
- Mining and quarrying
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Waste management and remediation services
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Panel operator - chemical processing
- Process technician
- Refinery operator
- Refinery process technician
- Upgrader process operator - chemical processing
- Process technician - chemical processing
- Process laboratory operator
- Processing operator - chemical processing
- Production operator - chemical processing
- Petroleum blender
- Petroleum distillation operator
- Petroleum process operator
- Petroleum refiner
- Petroleum refinery operator
- Petroleum treater
- Petroleum unit operator
Your hub for information on career transitioningPosted
The Career Exploration Forum has ended, but all the recorded content is now available on the Careers in Oil + Gas YouTube channel! You’ll find experts...Continue reading