- Oil and Gas Services
- Oil sands
- Post-secondary diploma
About This Career
Oil and gas fuel the country, and the oil and gas industry is fueled by data. Handling all that data are Petroleum Engineering Technologists, using geological surveys and production logs to find efficiencies that get the most out of each well.
Petroleum engineering technologists are responsible for many technical activities that go along with producing oil and gas. These can range from conventional reserves to heavy oil and oil sands. Petroleum Engineering Technologists apply their knowledge and training d to petroleum drilling, geology, production procedures, formation evaluation and reservoir engineering.
These technologists typically work in teams and work closely with Engineers within oil and gas companies.
In this occupation, activities may include:
- Generating production reports as required.
- Analyzing, optimizing and calculating economics of well operations and industry projects.
- Performing tests, recording data, carrying out statistical process control on process operations, and writing production logs.
- Preparing drilling and workover programs, measuring well log information and obtaining core data, and supervising drilling and field servicing operations
- Operating electronic or computerized control panels from a central control room to monitor and optimize physical and chemical processes for several processing units.
- Petroleum Engineering Technologists require completion of a two- to three-year college program in such as geological technology, petroleum technology, petroleum engineering technology.
- Certification in geological and mineral technology or in a related field is available through provincial associations of engineering/applied science technologists and technicians and may be required by employers.
- A period of supervised work experience, usually two years, is required before certification.
- Certification by The Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta is available in Alberta.
- Membership in the regulatory body for professional technologists is required to use the title "Professional Technologist."
- Health and Safety requirements vary by role, and by company but may include:
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Computers and Electronics
- Application of Engineering Design and Technology
- Security of People and Property
- Mechanical Engineering
- Production and Processing
- Understanding Risk
- Data Entry
- Interpreting Documents/Plans
- Mechanical Operation
- Preventative Maintenance
- Operation and Control
- Operation Monitoring
- Quality Control Analysis
- Systems Evaluation and Analysis
- Technology Design
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Petroleum engineering technologist
- Engineering technologist
- Physical sciences technologist
- Process engineering technologist
Petroleum Engineering Technologist SpotlightPosted
Oil and gas fuel the country, and the oil and gas industry is fueled by data. Handling all that data are Petroleum Engineering Technologists, using ge...Continue reading