- Exploration and production
- High school diploma
About This Career
You play a role in constructing pipelines across the country that provide access to oil and natural gas. You provide the manual labour assistance to tradespeople for the preparation, construction and post-construction phases of a pipeline project. When it comes to getting pipelines built, you roll up your sleeves and do some of the heavy lifting.
Pipeline Transportation Labourers assist skilled tradespersons with the majority of manual labour required for pipeline construction, maintenance and operations. Pipeline Transportation Labourers are members of a crew(s) comprised of tradespersons, operators and labourers. Typical roles include the following:
- Pre-Construction Workers remove obstructions from a pipeline right-of-way. They create a uniform grade so that equipment and trucks can maneuver the right-of-way easily. They also excavate trenches on the right-of-way for pipe placement and help place the pipe end-to-end in preparation for welding.
- Construction Workers assist in bending the pipe to fit with land contours. They help to position and align pipe for welding. They also apply primer, protective coating and final wrapping on the pipe.
- Post-Construction Workers cover the pipeline with topsoil that was previously removed and ensure the right-of-way is returned to its original state.
- Maintenance/Terminal/Station Workers assist in preventive maintenance, repair and upgrading of pipelines, pumping stations and pipeline facilities/oil tank farms.
- Line Walkers patrol the pipeline on foot, horseback or other means to identify any leaks, washouts, breaks in joints or damaged communication infrastructure.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Loading pipe
- Organizing sections of pipeline in preparation for welding
- Installing sleeves on damaged or corroded pipe and performing general maintenance on pipelines including pipe fittings and equipment relocations.
- Assisting other trades and operators that operate specialized coating equipment
- Digging as required to create a uniform grade so that equipment such as ditchers, backhoes, side boom bulldozers and trucks can move onto and along the right-of-way easily
- A high school diploma (or equivalent) is preferred, and on-the-job training is typically provided by employers. These are entry-level occupations.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS)
- Pipeline Construction Safety Training (PCST)
- H2S Alive
- Transportation of dangerous goods (TDG)
- Confined space entry
- Ground disturbance
- Some occupations will require a valid driver’s licence and a clean driving record
You bring stamina. You’re a team player and have strong vision, depth perception and hand, eye and foot coordination.
- Service orientation
- Attention to detail
- Mechanical knowledge
- Public safety and security knowledge
- Installing equipment
- Active listening
- Building and construction knowledge
- Controlling operations
- Equipment maintenance
- Equipment selection
- Operation monitoring
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting
- Mining and quarrying
General Construction Labourer
By Taj Industrial Ltd
$14.00 to $17.00 hourly (to be negotiated)View Job
By C T Trucking Inc.
$21.00 hourlyView Job
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Pipeline Transportation Helper
- Pre-Construction Helper
- Construction Helper
- Post-Construction Helper
- Line Walker
- Maintenance Worker
- Terminal Worker
- Station Worker
- Survey Helper
- Bending Helper
- Pipeline Labourer
- Mechanic’s Labourer
- Skid Setter