- Oil and Gas Services
- High school diploma
About This Career
You’re the one with the power – the power tongs, that is. You control the equipment that threads sections of drill casing to form the pipe that is placed hundreds of metres into the ground. When you arrive at site, the rig crew knows it’s time to get to work. Your strength and dexterity serve you well in this occupation.
Power Tong Operators control the equipment that threads sections of drill casing into the wellbore. As a member of the oilfield well services team, they are responsible for operating power tongs, torque measuring equipment and tube/casing handling equipment at the well site. Casing is required to maintain an oil or gas well’s structural integrity, prevent the cross-contamination of water with other fluids and control well pressure during the drilling, production and maintenance of the well. Power Tong Operators must be able to transport equipment to and from the well location, safely rig in and operate the equipment, perform day-to-day inspections, servicing and maintenance of equipment, and complete all required paperwork accurately and on time.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Communicating with other members of the well services crew to ensure the proper placement and operation of conventional casing tools and equipment
- Using power tongs to move and connect the drill pipe and/or casing during drilling operations
- Coating pipe threads to ensure the proper seal is made and to prevent corrosion
- Performing preventative maintenance on power tongs and pipe handling equipment in accordance with company procedures
- Troubleshooting the power tongs and pipe handling equipment, and advising maintenance personnel on the necessary repairs
- A high school diploma (or equivalent) is typically required. Basic mechanical skills and heavy hauling or off-road driving experience are assets to the job.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- H2S Alive
- Oilfield driver awarenss
- Class 1 license (withy air brake endorsement) and a clean driving record
You bring strength and stamina to the job. You have solid communication skills to work with others and get the job done.
- Public safety and security
- Monitoring operations
- Controlling operations
- Maintaining equipment
- Managing material resources
- Selecting the right equipment
Ability to pass a pre-employment physical and drug test
Similar careers also exist in the following industries
- High Technology
- Industrial Manufacturing
- Military (MOSID)
- Petrochemical Manufacturing
- Renewable Energy/Clean Technology
- Supply Chain
Rig Technician - Derrickhand
By Apex Well Servicing
$30.00 to $40.00 hourly (to be negotiated)View Job
Rig Technician - Derrickhand
By Lockwell Servicing Ltd.
$36.00 hourlyView Job
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Power Tong Operator SpotlightPosted
Power Tong Operators control the power tongs that thread sections of drill casing together to form the pipe being placed hundreds of metres into the g...Continue reading