- Oil and Gas Services
- Oil sands
- Petrochemicals and Refining
- Post-secondary diploma
About This Career
Gas and oil, or oil sands (bitumen) doesn’t just come out of the ground ready to use. All of the natural resources need to go through several processes before they can be used for fuel and raw material manufacturing needs. Each of these important processes require Process Engineering Technologists to monitor, adjust and maintain processing units and equipment.
These technicians typically work in teams and work closely with Process Engineers or Chemical Engineers within oil and gas companies.
In this occupation, activities may include:
- Controlling process start-up, shut-down and troubleshooting.
- Generating production reports as required.
- Mentoring and supporting field operations and field administrators in accurate and consistent and production reporting.
- Performing tests, recording data, carrying out statistical process control on process operations, and writing production logs.
- Operating electronic or computerized control panels from a central control room to monitor and optimize physical and chemical processes for several processing units.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- A college diploma in process operation, sciences or a related subject may be required for some positions.
- Petroleum and Chemical Process Technicians and Technologists often require completion of several years of formal company training.
- Company certification as a petroleum process operator or technician may be required.
- Software experience in Prodview, Fieldview, PVR, Microsoft Excel, Petrolook, QByte and Zed-I may be required.
- A provincial power engineer licence, compressor operator or refrigeration certificate may be required when certain kinds of equipment are included in the process.
- Health and Safety requirements vary by role, and by company but may include:
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Computers and Electronics
- Mechanical Engineering
- Production and Processing
- Data Entry
- Interpreting Documents/Plans
- Operation and Control
- Operation Monitoring
- Quality Control Analysis
- Systems Evaluation and Analysis
- Technology Design
- Public administration
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
- Laboratory Technician
- Petroleum Engineering Technologist
- Pipeline Integrity Specialist
- Power Engineering Technologist and Stationary Steam Engineer
- Automated Systems Technician and Technologist
- Chemical Technician and Technologist
- Mechanical Technician
- Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) Operator
- Tubular Drill Pipe Inspector
- Non Destructive Tester and Inspection Technician
Also known as
- Refinery process technician
- Chemical processing technician
- Gas field production operator
- Gas plant operator
- Gas recovery operator
- Oil refinery process operator
- Petroleum process operator
- Pipeline compressor station operator
Process Engineering Technologist SpotlightPosted
Gas and oil, or oil sands (bitumen) doesn’t just come out of the ground ready to use. All of the natural resources need to go through several processe...Continue reading