- Exploration and production
- Oil sands
- Oil and Gas Services
- Petrochemicals and Refining
- Post-secondary diploma
About This Career
Oil and gas production and refining, upgrading and petrochemical processing relies heavily on automated machines and processes but still require people to operate, monitor, maintain the equipment and facilities where these processes take place. Process Operators are generally skilled workers who perform a variety of hands-on tasks essential to the safe and efficient operations of various facilities.
Depending on the employer, Process Operators may be responsible for a wide variety of tasks from manual labour to complex machine operations in smaller organizations or being responsible for managing a single specific process in larger organizations.
In this occupation, activities may include:
- Participating in procedure and operating standard reviews and updates.
- Participating in safety audits and safety programs and maintain a safe work environment.
- Operating production and processing equipment from a central control room.
- Identifying hazards, maintenance issues, and unplanned events and communicating these effectively to supervisors.
- Recording readings manually or on a computer
- Collecting samples from production streams for analysis.
- Moving equipment and tools between locations as directed and required.
- Operating, monitoring, adjusting, and maintaining process equipment to ensure production
- Performing routine field level equipment inspections to verify and monitor operation
- Performing routine maintenance on field equipment as required or directed by supervisors.
- Completion of secondary school is required. Mathematics, chemistry and physics subjects are often specified.
- A college diploma in process operation, sciences or a related subject may be required for some positions.
Depending on the employer the following certifications may be required:
- First Aid
- Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness (H2S Alive)
- Blowout Prevention
- Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS)
- Pressure equipment certification such as ABSA
- Well Control
- A provincial power engineer licence, compressor operator, steam operator or refrigeration certificate may be required when certain kinds of equipment are included in the process.
- Valid Driver's License
- Computers and Electronics
- Production and Processing
- Understanding Risk
- Works Safely
- Interpreting Documents/Plans
- Mechanical Operation
- Equipment Maintenance
- Operation and Control
- Operation Monitoring
- Quality Control Analysis
- Attention to Detail
- Mining and quarrying
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Waste management and remediation services
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Bitumen Extraction Plant Operator
- Bitumen Upgrading Plant Operator
- Oil Refinery Process Operator
- Upgrader Process Operator
- Assistant Operator-Chemical Processing
- Batching Chemical Process Operator
- Chemical Process Operator
- Chemical Process Unit Operator
- Compressor Station Operator
- Operator - Oil and Gas
- Process Technician
- Processing Operator
Virtual reality field trip brings energy industry to the classroomPosted
A school field trip during a pandemic? No problem! To encourage learning opportunities during COVID-19, PetroLMI developed a virtual reality (VR) fiel...Continue reading