- Exploration and production
- Oil sands
- Oil and Gas Services
- Petrochemicals and Refining
- High school diploma
About This Career
Oil and gas production facilities such as well sites, compressor and pumping stations, storage facilities and petrochemical plants are highly automated but still require experienced operators to ensure their safe and efficient operation. Production Coordinators manage, direct and supervise the people and processes and machinery that these facilities produce.
Production Coordinators are senior field staff who normally have years of experience as operators and/ or facility foremen and who are keenly aware of the processes, equipment and staffing requirements to ensure safe and efficient operations. They manage and direct production staff, contractors and 3rd party vendors and are key to ensuring smooth working relationships between field operations and central office asset teams.
In this occupation, activities may include:
- Participating in meetings with production team members including engineers, technologists, geologist, asset managers and executives.
- Establishing and maintaining a schedule for work activities at production sites and facilities and ensuring adequate staffing levels to meet operational needs.
- Maintaining operations data, such as time, production, and cost records, and prepare management reports of production results.
- Acting as focal point for communications between between production facility staff including operators and asset teams in corporate offices.
- Reviewing production data in conjunction with production team members and recommending options to optimize production.
- Directing, managing and supervising field operations staff and third-party contractors.
- Planning and coordinating preventive maintenance activities.
- Preparing production reports for various field production facilities.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of college or petroleum industry approved training courses is required.
- Extensive experience in the occupations supervised is required.
- A two-year college diploma in petroleum engineering technology may be required.
- First Aid
- Hydrogen Sulfide Awareness (H2S Alive)
- Blowout Prevention
- Well Control
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG)
- Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations.
- Security of People and Property
- Human Resources
- Production and Processing
- Understanding Risk
- Promotion of Occupational Health and Safety
- Cost Benefit Analysis
- Preventative Maintenance
- Managing Finances
- Managing Material Resources
- Managing Personnel Resources
- Operation and Control
- Operation Monitoring
- Professional Judgment and Decision Making
- Managing Conflict
- Planning and Organizing
- Time Management
- Mining and quarrying
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Field Supervisor
- Production Supervisor
- Plant Forman
- Facility Foreman
- Production Scheduler
- Oil Well Services Field Supervisor
- Gas Well Services Field Supervisor
- Department Manager
- Plant Supervisor
- Production Manager
- Production Supervisor
- Quality Assurance Supervisor (QA Supervisor)
- Shift Supervisor
Your hub for information on career transitioningPosted
The Career Exploration Forum has ended, but all the recorded content is now available on the Careers in Oil + Gas YouTube channel! You’ll find experts...Continue reading