- Oil and Gas Services
- Grade 10
About This Career
You are an adventurer of the oil and gas industry. You often hike mountains and traverse countryside as part of a specialized crew responsible for collecting the geophysical data used in oil and gas exploration. You’re physically fit and you like nature and travel; this is your world.
Seismic Labourers assist in various aspects in the four phases of seismic operations: surveying, line clearing, seismic drilling and data acquisition and recording. They are also instrumental in supporting more specialized positions on the crews. This occupation is considered an entry-level position. Seismic Labourers often develop on-the-job skills and are provided training that allows for movement into higher skilled or more responsible positions.
The typical roles in this occupation include:
- Chainer’s Assistants help measure, map and locate drilling locations.
- Surveyor’s Assistants help collect and process survey readings.
- Locator’s Assistants help find and document all buried utilities.
- Packers clear debris from seismic lines and help move equipment.
- Driller’s Helpers assist with drilling holes and placing charges.
- Lineworkers place, remove, load and unload all seismic recording equipment.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Placing flags on marks on the cable
- Loading dynamite into shot holes
- Helping find, track and mark pipelines, cables and buried utilities
- Helping the Driller as required
- Clearing debris on seismic lines to ensure the line is accessible for others that follow
- Loading and unloading seismic equipment from seismic line vehicles or heli-bags.
- A high school diploma is preferred by employers but not necessary.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- H2S Alive
- Oilfield driver awarenss
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG)
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV)
- A valid driver's licence and a clean driving record may be required, depending on the company and role
You have physical stamina and can navigate remote landscapes.
- Active listening
- Service orientation
- Attention to detail
- Mechanical knowledge
- Public safety and security knowledge
- Judgment and decision making
- Service orientation
- Planning and organization
- Operation monitoring
- Operation and control
- Document use
- Critical thinking
- Ability to pass pre-employment physical assessment and drug test
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting
- Mining and quarrying
Oil Field Labourer
By Isolation Equipment Services Inc.
$205.00 to $560.00 daily (to be negotiated)View Job
Labourer, Oil Field
By Stream-Flo Industries Ltd.
$23.00 to $25.00 hourly (to be negotiated)View Job
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Surveyor’s Helper and Assistant
- Locator’s Helper and Assistant
- Driller’s Helper and Assistant
- Jug Stomper
- Bag Runner
Seismic Labourer SpotlightPosted
Seismic Labourers are part of a specialized crew responsible for finding geophysical data for oil and gas operations or exploration. They hike mountai...Continue reading