- Oil and Gas Services
- Grade 10
About This Career
Slicklines were originally called measuring lines because the wire used looked similar to a tape measure. It also had measurement markers so Slickline Operators would know how deep the tools they were raising or lowering were in the well hole. Modern slicklines are much stronger than the historic measuring lines. They also are used for a variety of tasks in the maintenance, repair and production of well sites. This could be a slick occupation if it’s compelling for you.
Slickline Operators raise and lower downhole tools (e.g., bailers, pulling tools, stems and running tools) with a wire cable which is used to test and maintain oil and gas wells. They retrieve and/or install valves, plugs and pressure regulators. They lower and raise downhole tools and plugs to proper depth and direct the fishing tools used to retrieve broken or lost wire or equipment.
This occupation is divided into several levels from Assistant Operator to Level 3 Operator. Each level involves more responsibility and more complex tasks.
- Level 1 activities involve all the basic operations such as raising and lowering tools, maintaining the rig and assisting with the planning and implementation of the job.
- Level 2 and 3 have an added supervisory element.
- Level 3 is involved in other types of activities which require further skills, such as perforating.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Mechanically manipulating downhole tools from operator compartments in slickline trucks
- Operating hydraulic pumps to spool the slickline back onto the reel drum
- Using weight indicator gauges and depth counters to monitor the tension and depth of the slickline
- Installing and retrieving valves including gas lift valves, plugs and pressure regulators
- Running instruments to record bottom hole pressure and temperature
- There are no specific educational requirements, however, training courses are available and it is possible to apply for apprenticeship training in some jurisdictions.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- H2S Alive
- Confined space entry
- Fall protection
- Aerial Lift Training
- Traffic Control
- Respirator fit training
You bring strength and physical stamina to the job. You have solid communication skills and work well with others.
- Public safety and security
- Equipment selection
- Operation and control
- Law and government
- Equipment maintenance
- Operation monitoring
- Complex problem solving
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting
- Mining and quarrying
- Transportation and warehousing
Driller - Oil And Gas Drilling
By Apex Well Servicing
$35.00 to $45.00 hourly (to be negotiated)View Job
Rig Technician - Derrickhand
By Apex Well Servicing
$30.00 to $40.00 hourly (to be negotiated)View Job
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Field Operator
- Pulling Unit Operator
Slickline Operator SpotlightPosted
Slicklines are wires that are used to run tools into well and were originally called measuring lines because the wire looked similar to a tape measure...Continue reading