- Exploration and production
- Oil and Gas Services
- Oil sands
- Petrochemicals and Refining
- Post-secondary diploma
- Post-secondary degree
About This Career
Having a “social license to operate” is fundamental to any oil and gas company, and you play an important role in getting it granted. You cultivate relationships and carry the views of the community to the company boardroom and the views of the company to the community. You’re a critical link in communication, transparency and understanding.
Stakeholder Relations Professionals play an important role in cultivating and maintaining relationships with key community stakeholders, Aboriginal communities and interest groups that affect, or are affected by, industry activity. They are often responsible for the development and implementation of projects and plans that support a company’s social licence to operate.
- Stakeholder Relations and Aboriginal Relations Advisors identify which stakeholder groups, such as Aboriginal communities, should be engaged with, and to what extent, typically on a project-by-project basis. They execute engagement activities to obtain input and feedback on issues or concerns.
- Socio-Economic Impact Assessment Specialists perform work to understand, evaluate and develop strategies to manage the economic, cultural and social impacts of industry activity on communities.
- Investor Relations Specialists work proactively with key individuals and groups to ensure the company is optimally valued and resourced. They work at promoting the company and increasing shareholder value with investors.
When you start in this occupation activities may include:
- Analyzing data (e.g., statistics, demographics, attitudes, preferences, individual activities)
- Documenting public involvement activities for regulatory reviews and internal company follow-up
- Maintaining a formal system of recording and monitoring stakeholder and company commitments.
As you advance in this career, you may take on additional tasks including:
- Providing tools and consultation to leaders, project teams and employees to enable effective and efficient communications (e.g., intranets and websites, templates, guidelines and workshops)
- Making presentations and leading discussions with communities and other stakeholders about the intent, scope timing and implications (e.g., environmental, social and economic) of the company's plans and activities to obtain feedback
- Providing advice and guidance on ways to enhance the company's reputation (e.g., through community investments and other socio-economic benefits)
- A post-secondary diploma or degree in a relevant field is typically required for most Stakeholder Relations roles. Areas of study can include public relations, communications, journalism, anthropology, international relations, geography, environmental design, law, business, sociology, psychology, petroleum land management or a related discipline. A graduate or doctoral degree in social sciences, anthropology, public policy or environmental studies with a focus on Aboriginal communities may be required for jobs that specialize in socio-economic impact assessments.
- Specific health and safety certifications will be determined by job requirements
An active listener with strong verbal communication and facilitation skills, you bring balance to the conversation between companies and their stakeholders. You successfully negotiate mutually beneficial solutions.
- Customer and personal service
- Active listening
- Managing conflict
- Social perceptiveness
- Communications and media
- Critical thinking
- Persuading others
- Leading and living the company vision and values
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting
- Mining and quarrying
- Public administration
By ADD CANADA
$32.00 hourlyView Job
Marketing Consultant - Advertising
By Explorer Group Canada Ltd.
$34.15 hourlyView Job
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Aboriginal Relations Advisor
- Community and Aboriginal Affairs Advisor and/or Liaison
- Communications Advisor/Consultant/Representative
- Community Business Coordinator
- Community Information Officer
- Investor Relations Specialist and Coordinator
- Social Performance Advisor